Elokobi unlikely to be fit to start the season for Colchester United
- Credit: Richard Blaxall/Focus Images Ltd
George Elokobi should begin full training next week, but is unlikely to win his battle to be fit for the new season.
Summer signing Elokobi is yet to feature in pre-season for his new club Colchester United, following his move from League One rivals Oldham on a two-year deal at the start of this month.
The 28-year-old, who began his professional career with the U’s during the Essex club’s last few years at Layer Road (2004-08), has been recruited to add experience to the U’s back four.
But he looks set to miss out on the opening day fixture, at home to Blackpool on Saturday week, at least in terms of a place in the starting line-up.
“George has picked up his training, and he should join in full training next week,” revealed U’s boss Tony Humes.
You may also want to watch:
“The first game of the season looks like it will come too early for George, although we haven’t ruled him out being involved.
“He could play a part in the squad, because he has the experience to get through games.
- 1 Andy's Angles: Six observations after Ipswich Town's 2-1 win over Fleetwood
- 2 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 3 'Unique' café with 250 plus board games to play will open soon
- 4 Ambulance service apologises after woman left lying on Cornhill for 2 hours
- 5 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Suffolk
- 6 'One of the favourites for the division' - Fleetwood boss Grayson on Town
- 7 Business units set to be converted into new seafront flats
- 8 How Suffolk are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 9 'Kind and gentle' retired Ipswich Hospital orthopaedic consultant dies
“However, he will certainly be lacking in match sharpness, and also match fitness.”
Elokobi started out as a left-back, but has been transformed into a centre-half in recent times, and Humes signed the ex-Wolves favourite to provide extra options to the heart of defence.
Alex Wynter has impressed alongside Tom Eastman in recent pre-season games, including Tuesday night’s 3-2 win over Championship visitors Ipswich Town.
It could be that the versatile Wynter, therefore, who partners Eastman – an ever-present last season – in the back four against Blackpool, although Frankie Kent is another option.
Meanwhile, Humes revealed that he is hoping to add to his squad next week, ahead of that Blackpool opener.
“I’m hoping to have a new player after next weekend. We have to clarify things, over that, but it will be a forward,” confirmed the U’s boss.
Colchester entertain Fulham in their final pre-season friendly tomorrow afternoon (kick-off 3pm).