Ely win tight encounter
Away to Ely and against a blustery first-half wind Sudbury U13's faced their first challenge on a full-size pitch.
Away to Ely and against a blustery first-half wind Sudbury U13's faced their first challenge on a full-size pitch. Their inexperience showed early on when a high ball from Ely bounced past the Sudbury fullback and was collected for a try, which Ely failed to convert.
But Sudbury began to run well against the wind with the occasional kick to relieve pressure. Once they realised that handling the ball was the route to success Sudbury soon closed the gap on Ely with centre Jake Kelling breaking through the line to score near the posts. Ely replied with a converted try from a strong forwards surge, just before half time and at the break led 12 points to Sudbury's five.
Playing with the wind in the second half Sudbury found the confidence to handle the ball much better and swiftly reduced the gap with a second try from Jake Kelling. The running with the ball was strong from both teams.
Mid-way through the second half Sudbury took the lead with an inspired cross field free kick from full-back Toby Pink, which carried on the wind and fell perfectly into space for winger Alex Flack to collect and score in the corner. Play continued from end to end in a struggle that could have seen the result swing either way. But from a scrummage close to the Ely line Sudbury scrum half Ellis Heighs, who had had a tough game against his opposite number, picked up from the base and nipped in for a try to seal the result.
You may also want to watch:
Final score: Ely 12 Sudbury 20.
Next match: Newmarket at home - kick-off: 12 Noon September 23.
- 1 Red flooding alert issued for Suffolk coastal town
- 2 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Villa set to recall Barry in January
- 4 Suffolk coast flood alert issued including Felixstowe and Ipswich
- 5 'Striking' Suffolk eco home featured on Grand Designs up for sale
- 6 Mike Bacon: Starting to walk the walk, I'm liking the way we move
- 7 Large cannabis farm discovered in property near Suffolk-Essex border
- 8 Two Suffolk homes 30 miles apart struck by lightning
- 9 Family pays tribute to 'gentle giant' who died in motorbike crash
- 10 'It's powerful' - Harper on Town's use of sports psychology