Emmanuel Osei the difference as Leiston end AFC Sudbury’s cup hopes
RYMAN LEAGUE CUP SECOND ROUND AFC Sudbury 0 Leiston 3
Emmanuel Osei scored one and made one as Leiston ended AFC Sudbury’s cup hopes for another season.
The striker teed up Danny Thrower for the opening goal on 22 minutes before scoring a crucial second just before the break.
A lacklustre second half ended with former AFC midfielder Gareth Heath scoring from the penalty spot after Rhys Henry was tripped by Adam Dalby.
Buoyed by new signing Danny Green, who joined hours before kick-off after his departure from League Two Dagenham and Redbridge, AFC Sudbury started brightly against their higher-league opponents.
You may also want to watch:
But with the hosts becoming too reliant on the long searching ball, Leiston slowly started to exert some dominance.
AFC debutant keeper Alex Archer’s goal was soon under siege, the former Needham stopper saving well from Osei before the deadlock was broken by Thrower on 22 minutes when he rounded the keeper and slotted the ball in.
- 1 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 2 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 3 Major A14 roundabout may not reopen until next week as water main repaired
- 4 Widow: 'Heartless' council won't allow extra 4 inches for my husband's headstone
- 5 Matchday Live: Chaplin fires Town ahead as owner Johnson watches on
- 6 A140 closed in both directions after two vehicle crash
- 7 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 8 Suffolk shop wins 'Boutique Clothing Store of the Year'
- 9 'I've got goosebumps... I've been blown away' - Town owner Johnson excited for first Portman Road game
- 10 Warning of seasonal canine disorder after dachshund Trudie taken ill
Archer saved from both Thrower and Heath, before Osei sharply pounced on a rebound to double Leiston’s lead three minutes before the interval.
A spirited AFC Sudbury came out after the break without truly testing away keeper Danny Potter.
Seb Dunbar and Peter Maina swapped shots from distance as Leiston did enough to keep their hosts at bay, before Heath’s late penalty put the seal on a comfortable victory.
AFC Sudbury: Archer, Dalby, Shipton (Sinfield 70), Shinn, Smith, Thomas, Cowley, Pond, Charge, Boylan (Maina 58), Green. Subs not used – Brown, Webb, Howe.
Leiston: Potter, Head, Dunbar, Driver (Merritt 88), Jefford, Boardley, Henry (Norfolk 88), Heath, Osei (Tuwizana 80), Thrower, Brothers. Subs not used – Hammond, Munson.