Emotional Wright wins first major at Minehead
- Credit: PA
Peter Wright won the first major Professional Darts Corporation (PDC) title of his career after beating Gerwyn Price 11-6 in the UK Open final on Sunday night.
Wright beat Daryl Gurney 11-5 to seal his place in his third straight UK Open final after losing in 2015 and 2016.
The 46-year-old Scotsman finished on the bull in an 85 checkout to beat Price and take the £70,000 prize money.
Despite Price throwing four 180s and the highest checkout (117), Wright won the final three legs to seal victory.
An emotional Wright picked up his first major, much to the delight of the Minehead crowd.
You may also want to watch:
Reigning champion Michael Van Gerwen did not compete in the tournament, which he won by beating Wright in 2015 and 2016, after failing to recover from a back injury.
- 1 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 2 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Villa set to recall Barry in January
- 3 Large cannabis farm discovered in property near Suffolk-Essex border
- 4 Red flooding alert issued for Suffolk coastal town
- 5 Family pays tribute to 'gentle giant' who died in motorbike crash
- 6 Police officers praised for saving baby's life with CPR
- 7 Work finally starts on the Ipswich Garden Suburb after decades of debate
- 8 'Striking' Suffolk eco home featured on Grand Designs up for sale
- 9 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 10 New shop for farm that focuses on mental health