England pair to face Australia at Chelmsford
ENGLAND one-day captain Alastair Cook and fellow international Ravi Bopara are included in the Essex side to face Australia in a 50-overs day/night match at The Ford County Ground on Tuesday, start 2pm.
The pair will take the opportunity of a preview look at the tourists ahead of the five-match one-day series between England and Australia that starts on Friday.
Such has been the interest that the match has been sold-out for some weeks, and Essex head coach Paul Grayson admits that his squad are relishing the chance to come face-to-face with the country’s oldest adversaries.
“It’s a great opportunity for the lads to play against Australia, it’s not often that you get that chance and especially at Chelmsford in a floodlit game,” he said.
“It’s a great chance for our squad to show everyone what good cricketers they are. The Aussies will want to be at their best because they are about to start their one-day series against England.
You may also want to watch:
“We know that it will be a tough game, they’ll be fully at it on Tuesday like we will because we want to put in a big performance. I’m sure that the Essex support will come out and get behind us and I can guarantee everyone that we won’t be taking this game easy.
“In the past, I know that some second team players have been selected in some of the tourists’ matches but all our lads are desperate to play and play against some top players.”
- 1 Andy's Angles: Six observations after Ipswich Town's 2-1 win over Fleetwood
- 2 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 3 'Unique' café with 250 plus board games to play will open soon
- 4 Ambulance service apologises after woman left lying on Cornhill for 2 hours
- 5 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Suffolk
- 6 Hadleigh home with loo in master bedroom hits the market
- 7 How Suffolk are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 8 'One of the favourites for the division' - Fleetwood boss Grayson on Town
- 9 Business units set to be converted into new seafront flats
- 10 'Kind and gentle' retired Ipswich Hospital orthopaedic consultant dies
Essex: J Foster (capt/wkt), M Pettini, A Cook, R Bopara, T Westley, G Smith, R ten Doeschate, G Napier, T Phillips, T Mills, R Topley.