Essex: Tour de France director visits county ahead of major cycle event this summer
- Credit: Archant
The director of the world’s biggest cycle race has visited Essex.
Christian Prudhomme, general director of the Tour de France, met county councillors as he toured the 2014 route.
Stage three of this year’s race comes to Essex, including Rayne, Shalford and Finchingfield.
Mr Prudhomme said: “After leaving Cambridge, the race moves on to Essex to showcase the county’s beautiful towns, villages and countryside, before moving onto London for a spectacular finish on the Mall – seven years to the day after the 2007 Grand Départ.
“We are proud to come back to London and the UK, which will provide an incredible backdrop for the Tour.”
You may also want to watch:
Ann Naylor, county councillor for health and wellbeing, said: “I am thrilled about the great things the Tour de France will bring to our county and am sure the international cyclists will receive an enthusiastic welcome from all Essex residents who watch the race.”
- 1 Major police probe after man and woman found dead in Woodbridge
- 2 Forensic teams at Woodbridge house after 'incident'
- 3 National Trust 'deeply saddened' at death of volunteers in Woodbridge incident
- 4 Woman dies after car collides with tree in Leiston
- 5 Tudor farmhouse with separate annexe is again for sale for £1.275m
- 6 Murder-suicide probe after couple found dead in Woodbridge
- 7 Police cordon after man in 20s found outside Ipswich flats dies
- 8 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 0-0 home draw with MK Dons
- 9 Here's what Bristol City boss Pearson said about CEO Ashton being linked to Town
- 10 Suffolk holiday accommodation reaching capacity ahead of re-opening