Ex-Blues defender Brown to be assisted by McGreal on caretaker basis at Colchester United
- Credit: Richard Blaxall/Focus Images Ltd
Colchester United have named former Ipswich Town defender Wayne Brown as caretaker manager at the Weston Homes Community Stadium, until a decision is made on a permanent appointment.
Brown, who was also part of the U’s team that won promotion to the Championship, will be assisted by another ex-Blues defender, John McGreal.
Richard Hall, meanwhile, who took joint-caretaker charge of the team with McGreal, in the 5-1 defeat at Burton last Saturday, will remain at the club.
The U’s are looking for a successor to Tony Humes who departed the club after last Tuesday’s 3-2 home defeat to bottom side Crewe Alexandra.
Colchester remain out of the bottom four in League One by a point and chairman Robbie Cowling said: “Wayne Brown and John McGreal have been asked to take charge of first team matters at Colchester United on a caretaker basis whilst with the help of my fellow directors, I determine the next full-time management team.
You may also want to watch:
“I am pleased to say that they have both accepted those roles and I would like to express my thanks to them both for helping the club out.
“I hope everyone involved with Colchester United can get behind Wayne and John and give them their full support.”
- 1 Matchday Recap: Plenty of positives despite Palace defeat
- 2 How bride paid £1 for vintage wedding dress
- 3 5 places to avoid the crowds in Suffolk this summer
- 4 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 5 Machinery to be sold following the loss of 'passionate' farmer
- 6 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their friendly clash with Crystal Palace
- 7 Ipswich Town 0 Crystal Palace 1: Zaha makes Town pay the penalty
- 8 Leisure centre closes after travellers park up on site
- 9 Town coach on Palace display, fans' return, transfer business and Evans' absence
- 10 Warnock on Town target Coulson's absence from Middlesbrough squad
On Hall, Cowling added: “Richard very much remains a part of the club and the equation going forward.”