Ex-Daggers keeper Chris Lewington becomes Colchester United’s third new face of the day
- Credit: Su Anderson
Sam Walker will face stiff competition for his first team place this season, following the arrival of fellow keeper Chris Lewington yesterday.
The experienced Lewington, who rattled up 143 senior appearances for his last club Dagenham & Redbridge, became the U’s third signing of the day, following on from right-back Sean Clohessy and left-back Ben Gordon.
Lewington played 45 games for the League Two Daggers last season, 43 of them in the league, but was keen for a fresh challenge after five years at Victoria Road.
Manager Joe Dunne enthused: “Chris (Lewington) was very consistent for Dagenham & Redbridge.
“But he got to the stage where he wanted to move on.
You may also want to watch:
“I’m pleased that it has all happened very quickly,” added Dunne.
Lewington, 25, said: “As soon as I got the phone call from Colchester, I came down to look around.
- 1 Flooding leaves main route through town 'impassable'
- 2 A14 reopens after serious crash leaves road closed for several hours
- 3 Man arrested after car crashes into supermarket sign
- 4 New online booking system for Suffolk recycling centres
- 5 Fuller Flavour: Can we sign Bonne permanently, please?
- 6 Motorcyclist suffers serious injuries in A14 crash
- 7 Winners and Losers: The boss, two commendations, absent friends and remaining winless wonders
- 8 Emotional moment as family decides to cease farming in-hand
- 9 5 roadworks to be aware of in Suffolk this week
- 10 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
“The facilities are fantastic, it’s a great set-up, and I’m looking forward to a new challenge, at a new level for me.”