Ex-Ipswich midfielder Westlake plays for U’s
FORMER Ipswich Town midfielder Ian Westlake played an hour for Colchester United’s reserves last night as they drew 0-0 with Essex rivals Southend United in a totesport.com East Combination League fixture.
Clacton-born Westlake, 27, was released by League Two side Wycombe Wanderers earlier this month and has been training with the U’s for just over a week to keep his match fitness levels high while he aims to find a new club.
The U’s used last night’s fixture in Maldon to take a look at four teenage trialists from Premier League and Championship club Academies.
Defenders Zaine Francis Angol, 17, and Olumide Durojaiye, 18, (both Tottenham) and strikers Matthew Reece (Fulham), 17, and Jonathan Birbeck (Leeds), 18, all started the match.
Teenage striker Craig Arnott – who has recently signed a professional contract with the club – hit the bar for Colchester, while Birbeck twice tested the keeper with half volleys from the edge of the box.
John-Joe O’Toole once again played as he continues his recovery from a 10-month spell out with a knee injury.
- 1 Paul Cook on social media 'drama queens' and a trip to Gateshead
- 2 Hundreds sign petition to fix closed Suffolk road as MP visits site
- 3 'It's a genuine personnel issue' - Cook on goal errors
- 4 Child rapist jailed for offences dating back to 2005
- 5 Woman receives life ban from owning dogs after sheep were mauled
- 6 Time Team using latest technology to investigate Sutton Hoo
- 7 'Lads have different levels of where they are' - Cook on Norwood and Barry
- 8 'That is the calibre'- Oxford boss on potential transfer move for Norwood
- 9 Will it be another lockdown Christmas?
- 10 'It was horrible' - Shock as woman robbed and assaulted in broad daylight