Ex-Ipswich stalwart Wright signs for U’s
- Credit: Archant
COLCHESTER United have this lunchtime completed the signing of David Wright from Crystal Palace.
The experienced Wright, who can play at right-back or in a defensively-minded midfield role, has arrived on a free transfer.
Wright began his career at Crewe, and also played for Wigan (2004-07) before enjoying a fruitful career at Ipswich, mostly as a right-back.
The 32-year-old made 120 league appearances for Town, before moving to Crystal Palace in 2010.
This season he has made just three senior appearances for Palace, while also playing seven games on loan at League Two club Gillingham.
You may also want to watch:
Wright is set to play in a central midfield role for the U’s, as a ready replacement for Arsenal loanee Craig Eastmond, who was so effective during his short stay with the Essex club at the start of manager Joe Dunne’s managerial reign.
Eastmond returned to Arsenal early, after fracturing a metatarsal, and has not really been replaced.
- 1 Suffolk actress Helen McCrory dies following cancer battle
- 2 Frustrated Suffolk farmer returns dumped items to householders
- 3 'I will be like Demolition Man... there will be a lot of pain' - Cook on his Town squad overhaul
- 4 Matchday Live: Updates as Town travel to The Valley to face Charlton
- 5 12 villages set to receive some of UK's fastest ever broadband
- 6 Death of 'loving' Suffolk woman in crash was 'unmitigated tragedy'
- 7 Rise in number of Covid patients in Suffolk and north Essex hospitals
- 8 Mum-of-three who devoted her life to hospice shop dies of heart attack
- 9 Can Ipswich Town ease the pain of a brutal week with an unlikely victory at Charlton?
- 10 'I've just been completely average' - Town star Woolfenden on his season and Town's struggles
Wright should fit the bill as the U’s bid to clamber out of the relegation zone over the coming weeks.
They entertain Walsall tomorrow.