Ex-Ipswich Town left-back Aaron Cresswell called up by England
Ex-Ipswich Town left-back Aaron Cresswell has been called up to the England squad for the first time.
The West Ham defender has been added to Gareth Southgate’s squad for Friday’s World Cup qualifier against Scotland, at Wembley (7.45pm ko), following an injury to Leicester midfielder Danny Drinkwater.
Liverpool-born Cresswell, 26, started out at League One side Tranmere before Paul Jewell brought him to Portman Road for a tribunal-set fee of £240,000 in 2011. Town went on to pay another £180,000 in appearance fees, bringing the total cost of the transfer to £420,000
Cresswell made 138 appearances for the Blues, all of them starts, and scored seven goals over the course of three seasons. He moved to the Premier League Hammers, under the management of Sam Allardyce, for an initial fee of £3.75m in July 2014, with Tranmere receiving 20% of that fee.
The full-back was named West Ham’s ‘Players’ Player of the Year’ after an impressive debut campaign. Despite missing the start of this season with a knee ligament injury sustained in a friendly, he has still made 93 appearances, again all starts, in the space of two-and-a-bit seasons with his East London employers.
You may also want to watch:
It’s understood that, although Ipswich could still receive more money from West Ham through various clauses, the deal potential worth as much as £7m, international football is not among the add-ons.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Town close out game to secure big win
- 2 Cook proud of players after Town hold on for elusive first win
- 3 A14 blocked after three vehicle crash
- 4 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 1-0 Lincoln win
- 5 Lincoln City 0-1 Ipswich Town: Bonne does the business as Blues earn first win
- 6 Major Lowestoft road partially closed due to police incident
- 7 Watch Town CEO Ashton wildly celebrate Lincoln win with Town fans
- 8 Soul-searching, an unleashing and the enemy within - Town travel to Lincoln in search of a win
- 9 Yellow weather warning for heavy rain issued for parts of Suffolk
- 10 The best roast dinners in Suffolk as chosen by our readers