Ex-Town star training with Ridgeons side
NEEDHAM Market chairman David Bugg has discussed the possibility of Fabian Wilnis joining the Ridgeons League club for the 2008/09 season.Wilnis, who will be 38 next month and ended a ten season association with Ipswich Town at the end of June, has been training with Needham and is due to be involved in the next session at Bloomfields on Tuesday.
NEEDHAM Market chairman David Bugg has discussed the possibility of Fabian Wilnis joining the Ridgeons League club for the 2008/09 season.
Wilnis, who will be 38 next month and ended a ten season association with Ipswich Town at the end of June, has been training with Needham and is due to be involved in the next session at Bloomfields on Tuesday.
He has taken an UEFA Licence coaching course and has made no secret of his intention to explore this avenue and stay in football - working up to become a manager one day.
You may also want to watch:
“Realistically it must be pretty slim that Fabian will sign for us,” said Bugg. “I understand he has turned down offers of jobs with professional clubs because he wants to stay in this part of the world.
“He has a testimonial at Portman Road in July or August next year.
- 1 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
- 2 Stu says: Six observations following Town's 2-2 draw at Cambridge
- 3 Four men arrested after man dies at Felixstowe lorry park
- 4 2,000 patients visit A&E because they are feeling depressed
- 5 Town get home draw in FA Cup First Round as ex-Blues head to Sudbury
- 6 Jailed in Suffolk: J Block gang members and man who attacked train station staff
- 7 North Stander: Nowhere near good enough at this stage of the season
- 8 'There's something missing in this team' - Town fans on draw at Cambridge
- 9 New fishmonger shop opens in Suffolk market town
- 10 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
“We would love Fabian to be with us and he is a marvellous chap who gets on well with our manager Danny Laws. It would give us a tremendous boost.
“We know he wants to coach and he may see us as his stepping stone. But to be honest we are looking on it as a long shot.”
Wilnis, who helped take the Needham training last Thursday, has confirmed that he will be staying in England this season. His wife and family are due to move back to Holland at the end of the school term - with Wilnis planning to return the Netherlands in the autumn of 2009.
n IPSWICH Town play at Ram Meadow, Bury Town on Wednesday with former Blues midfielder Kevin Horlock set to be in the Bury side. Horlock, who lives near Eye, is in talks regarding a permanent move to Southern League Midland Division Bury.