Mandron and Gondoh released by U’s
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Mikael Mandron and Ryan Gondoh will both leave Colchester United this summer.
Striker Mandron, in particular, has been a regular feature of the U's first-team squad over the last couple of years, since his arrival from Wigan Athletic in the summer of 2017.
In fact, 24-year-old Mandron was an almost permanent fixture in John McGreal's starting XI during his first season, although during the most recent term the Frenchman was used mainly as a substitute.
Meanwhile, winger Gondoh, recruited from Bostik North outfit Maldon & Tiptree, will also be released by the U's when his contract ends later this sumemr.
Target man Mandron rattled up an impressive 95 appearances in all competitions (85 in the league) for the U's, scoring 12 goals, although 10 of this dozen arrived during his first season, when he ony missed two league games.
You may also want to watch:
The U's narrowly missed out on the League Two play-offs during the most recent season, finishing just one point and one place outside the top seven.
To that end, McGreal will try and improve his squad still further, ahead of the 2019-20 season, which means making some difficult decisions with regards his current crop, including not offering ex-Sunderland trainee Mandron a new contract.
- 1 Antiques Roadtrip star opens new Suffolk antiques shop
- 2 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 3 Driver flees after crashing into level crossing
- 4 'Our supporters are tired and bored of us' - Cook on 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 5 'Complete negligence' - anger as sports clubs locked out of playing fields
- 6 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Spurs loanee Parrott set to return to Blues next season
- 7 Cyclist dies after collision with car in Bury St Edmunds
- 8 Cafe owner 'very emotional' after mystery customer leaves £500 for staff
- 9 Driver who killed 'dearly loved' man, 29, in crash is jailed
- 10 Witnesses sought after four-vehicle crash in east Suffolk
"Mika has been brilliant for us and his hard work and graft has been first class," explained U's boss McGreal.
"He is one of the first on the training ground and last off, so you can't question the effort he's put in.
"However, decisions have to be made in football and that is probably the hardest part of the game. We wish him well in the future."
Gondoh, meanwhile, is the other first-teamer to be released. He joined the U's in January, 2018, making his debut towards the end of last season against Swindon.
However, he only went on to play eight games for the U's, and spent time on loan at Halifax Town in the National League at the end of the last season.
All other first team players at the club are either already contracted for next season or, with regards those out of contract this summer, have been made offers, including Sammie Szmodics, who has recently been linked with a move to Bristol City.