Exceptional results the highlight of a successful open meet for hosts Newmarket
- Credit: Archant
The chairman of Newmarket SC has declared the club’s recent open meet “a great weekend” after their swimmers picked up more than 170 medals.
Chris Bellwood praised the performances of the Newmarket swimmers at the event on December 5 and 6 and thanked coach Annette Skeet and her coaching team for their work.
Clubs from as far afield as North Norfolk, Ely and Bishops Stortford joined the hosts and other Suffolk clubs Team Ipswich, Sudbury and Felixstowe for the meet.
Skeet said she was delighted with the “exceptional” results for her squad.
“We had 210 personal bests (PBs) from the weekend and we also gained 20 new county qualifying times and six regional times,” she said.
“We also had seven out of the 10 top girls with Tess Wesley, Etholle Marks and Lauren Watt.
“For the boys Cameron Bavey was third and Zak Baldwin was second.
- 1 Norwood set to stay... despite seven clubs showing interest
- 2 The most beautiful places to live in Suffolk - according to estate agents
- 3 'He's made massive strides here' - Town recall striker Simpson from Swindon
- 4 'He's a s**t house' - Stanley chairman slams Town skipper Morsy
- 5 Stu says: Five observations following Town's 2-1 win v Accrington
- 6 "I love him... I think he’s absolutely brilliant' - Chaplin on Town boss McKenna
- 7 World War Two-themed holiday accommodation plans at former airfield
- 8 'Ludicrous' - Stanley boss on 'big turning point' in Town loss
- 9 9 forgotten pubs that were at the heart of their Suffolk towns
- 10 Emergency services attend Felixstowe bungalow fire
“The only shame is that we do a top visiting club award and not top club because we had a mind-blowing 3,590.50 points but the trophy went to Ely with 1,525; congratulations to them.”
Skeet added the total medal haul for Newmarket was an astonishing 171.
Mr Bellwood backed her praise of the team, adding: “Our own swimmers performed exceptionally well with over 200 PBs, a huge number of medals won and featuring highly in the individual scores.
“With this coming on the back of a great run in the Suffolk Winter League and great performances at other recent open meets it bodes well for what could be a fantastic Suffolk County Championships next year.
“Annette’s dedication and coaching skills are really showing in these performances, so on behalf of everyone thank you Annette and all our coaching team.”