Exceptional results the highlight of a successful open meet for hosts Newmarket
- Credit: Archant
The chairman of Newmarket SC has declared the club’s recent open meet “a great weekend” after their swimmers picked up more than 170 medals.
Chris Bellwood praised the performances of the Newmarket swimmers at the event on December 5 and 6 and thanked coach Annette Skeet and her coaching team for their work.
Clubs from as far afield as North Norfolk, Ely and Bishops Stortford joined the hosts and other Suffolk clubs Team Ipswich, Sudbury and Felixstowe for the meet.
Skeet said she was delighted with the “exceptional” results for her squad.
“We had 210 personal bests (PBs) from the weekend and we also gained 20 new county qualifying times and six regional times,” she said.
You may also want to watch:
“We also had seven out of the 10 top girls with Tess Wesley, Etholle Marks and Lauren Watt.
“For the boys Cameron Bavey was third and Zak Baldwin was second.
- 1 Suffolk actress Helen McCrory dies following cancer battle
- 2 Frustrated Suffolk farmer returns dumped items to householders
- 3 Matchday Live: Updates as Town travel to The Valley to face Charlton
- 4 'It was a tiny step forwards' - Cook on 0-0 draw at Charlton
- 5 Cook discusses Chambers' future after captain dropped at Charlton
- 6 'I will be like Demolition Man... there will be a lot of pain' - Cook on his Town squad overhaul
- 7 Suffolk-born Royal Ballet choreographer Liam Scarlett dies
- 8 Death of 'loving' Suffolk woman in crash was 'unmitigated tragedy'
- 9 Why are 3,500 homes stood empty in Suffolk?
- 10 Shopper eschew Suffolk's smaller towns to hit Primark
“The only shame is that we do a top visiting club award and not top club because we had a mind-blowing 3,590.50 points but the trophy went to Ely with 1,525; congratulations to them.”
Skeet added the total medal haul for Newmarket was an astonishing 171.
Mr Bellwood backed her praise of the team, adding: “Our own swimmers performed exceptionally well with over 200 PBs, a huge number of medals won and featuring highly in the individual scores.
“With this coming on the back of a great run in the Suffolk Winter League and great performances at other recent open meets it bodes well for what could be a fantastic Suffolk County Championships next year.
“Annette’s dedication and coaching skills are really showing in these performances, so on behalf of everyone thank you Annette and all our coaching team.”