Experienced defender joins on loan
COLCHESTER United have signed experienced centre-back Nathan Clarke on loan until the end of the season from League One rivals Huddersfield Town.
The Yorkshire-born 27-year-old has been at the Terriers since the age of nine and has racked up 300 appearances over 10 seasons at his boyhood club. He has made just one appearance for Huddersfield this season though having fallen down the pecking order behind summer signing Jamie McCombe.
U’s boss Ward moved quickly to add the experienced defender to his squad after his back four was left further depleted by the sending off of Pat Baldwin at Brighton on Tuesday night.
Colchester have already sold defenders Marc Tierney (Norwich) and Paul Reid (Scunthorpe) this month and are currently without the services of injured duo Magnus Okuonghae and Brian Wilson (both ankle).
And following Baldwin’s dismissal for two yellow cards in the 2-0 defeat at The Withdean on Tuesday night – the defender receiving an immediate one-match suspension – it left Ward with just Matt Heath as his only established available centre-back for tomorrow night’s visit of promotion rivals Peterborough.
You may also want to watch:
– Full match preview of Colchester Utd v Peterborough Utd, including Clarke’s thoughts on his move, in Friday’s EADT.
- 1 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 2 Matchday Recap: Celina wins it for Town and sends Portman Road wild
- 3 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 4 Major A14 roundabout may not reopen until next week as water main repaired
- 5 Widow: 'Heartless' council won't allow extra 4 inches for my husband's headstone
- 6 Suffolk shop wins 'Boutique Clothing Store of the Year'
- 7 A140 closed in both directions after two vehicle crash
- 8 'I've got goosebumps... I've been blown away' - Town owner Johnson excited for first Portman Road game
- 9 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 10 Warning of seasonal canine disorder after dachshund Trudie taken ill