FA Cup: Wins for Ipswich Wanderers, Bury Town, AFC Sudbury and Brantham Athletic

Ross Myhill

Ross Myhill - Credit: Ashley Pickering/Anglia Picture

Ipswich Wanderers pulled off a fine FA Cup victory at Barkingside yesterday to give themselves a lucrative home tie with Ryman League Canvey Island.

Glenn Read’s side were good value for their win and pick up almost £2,000 into the bargain. The Ipswich side were two-up at the break, with Ross Myhill (29) and Billy Holland (36), the scorres.

Jonathan Adebayo netted for Barkingside midway through the second period but Wanderers held on. Their first qualifying round tie with Canvey Island at Humber Doucy Lane will take place on September 12.

Thetford Town 3 Bury Town 5

An extraordinary first-half saw Thetford and Bury rattle in eight goals between them.

You may also want to watch:

The Ryman League Blues raced into a four-goal lead in the first 12 minutes to stun the home fans in the near 300 crowd.

But Thetford fought back bravely, belying their lowly Eastern Counties Premier Division position.

Most Read

Noel Aitkens, Ollie Hughes, Bradley Barber and Tevan Allen gave Bury a dream start but goals from Standley, Bailey and Hunsden brought the home side back into the match.

Remi Garrett made it 5-3 just before the break and that was the way it stayed as Bury make progress into the next round where they will play Cockfosters or Tower Hamlets – they drew 3-3 and so have to replay.

Preliminary round AFC Sudbury 4 Ware 0

AFC Sudbury progressed to the next round of the FA Cup at the expense of Southern League side Ware.

Sudbury, who were leading at the break thanks to a Ware own goal, upped their game in the second period to run out comfortable winners to earn a home tie against Hendon in the next round.

Sudbury took the lead after 24 minutes when a good build-up down the left ended with Sam Clarke’s teasing cross being headed into his own net by Ware defender Jack Fowler. In the second period Sudbury upped their game and it was no surprise when they doubled their lead three minutes after the restart when Jordan Blackwell’s cross found Clarke who volleyed home.

James Baker blasted a penalty high over the bar for the home side before Nana Asamoah fired wide for Ware before Sudbury went 3-0 ahead after 70 minutes when they were awarded another penalty. This time Craig Parker made no mistake.

Ten minutes from time Sudbury put the result beyond doubt when Wales’ low cross from the right was turned into his own net by Ware’s Paul Cooper.

• Today’s game for Sudbury is postponed as opponents Witham drew in the FA Cup and replay tomorrow.

Witham Town 1 Brightlingsea Regent 1

Witham and Brightlingsea Regent will have to do it all again after a draw on Saturday in the FA Cup.

With the chances they created Witham should have had the game won before half time. Both George Cocklyn and Danny Emmanuel both failed to get shots in early in the game. Brightlingsea took the lead when they took a short corner and Jake Gordon lobbed the ball over everyone and into the far corner in the 66th minute.

Within five minutes Witham equalised when John Watson headed on a corner and substitute Davidson Tejaiye forced the ball into the net.

The replay is tomorrow at Brightlingsea.

Great Wakering 0 Brantham Athletic 2

Brantham produced a fine result at Great Wakering to progress to the next round of the FA Cup.

The first 20 minutes was a tight cagey affair and the first real chance fell to Wakering when Pugsley sent a corner crashing back off the crossbar. Brantham were looking dangerous on the break with Ollie Mann a handful.

The game was starting to open up and Bradbrook in the Brantham goal saved at full-stretch to keep a goal-bound effort out. Wakering saw a Tom Rangers effort volleyed wide and a long-range effort was spectacularly tipped aside by Bradbrook in the Brantham goal.

Brantham took the lead in the second period with a fast-flowing counter-attack. Ward picked out the impressive Gunn who burst through to finish in the bottom corner. Wakering still pushed men forward but Brantham added a second through Ollie Mann in injury time. Brantham now meet Biggleswade Town in the next round.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus