AFC Sudbury snap up high-profile striker Paul Hayes
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Photos
AFC Sudbury have completed a big signing, by securing the services of veteran striker Paul Hayes on a two-year deal.
The experienced Hayes has racked up more than 500 games for Football League clubs during a distinguished career, most notably at Scunthorpe United, where he scored a huge number of goals and was very prollific – 78 goals in 282 appearances for The Iron.
Now aged 34, Hayes should be very effective at Bostik North level with Sudbury, and his capture is certainly a coup for manager Mark Morsley.
“We were looking for a presence in the front-line, and Paul Hayes will certainly provide us with that,” enthused Morsley this morning.
“Sometimes you have to hold your nerve, when it comes to new signings, because things can happen later in the summer, which is what has happened with my contacts and with the signing of Paul.
“He should help out our younger lads at the club.
“We are still waiting on international clearance, because he played for Newport County last season, so he is not likely to play at Tilbury this weekend.
- 1 Matchday Recap: McGreal's Town beaten at The Valley
- 2 First case of Omicron confirmed in Suffolk with 16 more suspected
- 3 'Emotions are high' - McGreal on ugly scenes following Charlton loss
- 4 Fallen trees block Suffolk roads as Storm Barra batters region
- 5 Karaoke noise complaints prompts fear Grade II pub could close
- 6 Trio jailed as travellers' site shooting described as 'like a movie scene'
- 7 'Selection is down to the manager' - Town CEO Ashton on Norwood's absence
- 8 Pub transformed into 'breathtaking' family home for sale for almost £1m
- 9 Charlton boss Jackson on Bonne's 'point to prove', Addicks' interest in Pigott and Cook's sacking
- 10 Flood alerts issued for Suffolk ahead of Storm Barra's arrival
“But he hasn’t trained with the group yet, so that he gives him time to hopefully make his debut in our next game, at home to Heybridge Swifts,” added Morsley.