AFC Sudbury snap up high-profile striker Paul Hayes
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Photos
AFC Sudbury have completed a big signing, by securing the services of veteran striker Paul Hayes on a two-year deal.
The experienced Hayes has racked up more than 500 games for Football League clubs during a distinguished career, most notably at Scunthorpe United, where he scored a huge number of goals and was very prollific – 78 goals in 282 appearances for The Iron.
Now aged 34, Hayes should be very effective at Bostik North level with Sudbury, and his capture is certainly a coup for manager Mark Morsley.
“We were looking for a presence in the front-line, and Paul Hayes will certainly provide us with that,” enthused Morsley this morning.
“Sometimes you have to hold your nerve, when it comes to new signings, because things can happen later in the summer, which is what has happened with my contacts and with the signing of Paul.
You may also want to watch:
“He should help out our younger lads at the club.
“We are still waiting on international clearance, because he played for Newport County last season, so he is not likely to play at Tilbury this weekend.
- 1 Major police probe after man and woman found dead in Woodbridge
- 2 National Trust 'deeply saddened' at death of volunteers in Woodbridge incident
- 3 Forensic teams at Woodbridge house after 'incident'
- 4 Woman dies after car collides with tree in Leiston
- 5 Tudor farmhouse with separate annexe is again for sale for £1.275m
- 6 Murder-suicide probe after couple found dead in Woodbridge
- 7 Police cordon after man in 20s found outside Ipswich flats dies
- 8 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 0-0 home draw with MK Dons
- 9 Here's what Bristol City boss Pearson said about CEO Ashton being linked to Town
- 10 Suffolk holiday accommodation reaching capacity ahead of re-opening
“But he hasn’t trained with the group yet, so that he gives him time to hopefully make his debut in our next game, at home to Heybridge Swifts,” added Morsley.