Foxy U's win again

EARLY goals from David Fox and Ashley Vincent put Colchester United on the road to another league victory, at the expense of Yeovil Town this afternoon.

Carl Marston

Colchester United 2 Yeovil Town 1

EARLY goals from David Fox and Ashley Vincent put Colchester United on the road to another league victory, at the expense of Yeovil Town this afternoon.

Man-of-the-match Fox made it two goals in two league games, following his deadly free-kick at Norwich, by volleying home a clinical opener after just nine minutes.

You may also want to watch:

And Vincent doubled the lead in the 18th minute, heading home a delightful cross from the impressive Simon Hackney.

However, the U's could not add to their tally, despite numerous chances, and Yeovil set up a nervous last few minutes when Ryan Mason rifled home a free-kick on 82 minutes.

Most Read

The U's were left holding on during five minutes of injury-time, but there were no more real scares. So they have now gained six points out of six, and even more importantly have won at home!

U's boss Lambert made just one change to the side that hammered Norwich City 7-1 at Carrow Road on the opening day of the season. It was an enforced one, with Clive Platt's three-match suspension kicking in this afternoon. Scott Vernon was therefore handed his first start of the campaign.

Yeovil carved out the first chance in the fourth minute. Winger Scott Murray whipped over a dangerous cross, from the right, and striker Gavin Tomlin outsmarted Magnus Okuonghae to connect with a header that keeper Ben Williams gathered at the second attempt.

But five minutes later and the U's were ahead, thanks to a thumping volley from FOX.

Ashley Vincent ran onto Simon Hackney's pass to charge into the penalty area. A block-tackle prevented the winger from registering a shot, but the ball looped up for the awaiting Fox to beat keeper Alex McCarthy with a terrific volley.

In fact, Fox could not have connected any sweeter with his 15-yard volley, struck with his right foot. It was United's first goal attempt of the match.

United's second effort on target resulted in the second goal, courtesy of VINCENT'S first of the season.

Kevin Lisbie controlled Dean Hammond's pass on the left wing and advanced to the edge of the box, before changing direction to feed Simon Hackney.

And out-and-out winger Hackney curled over a marvellous cross for Vincent to nod into an empty net from seven yards out.

The U's were already in cruise control, although Lisbie was particularly frustrated to be caught offside half-a-dozen times inside the first half-hour.

United threatened a third goal in the 28th minute. McCarthy did well to palm away Hackney's fiercely-struck low cross, and the follow-up shot from Lee Beevers was blocked by a defender.

Six minutes later and livewire Vincent gave McCarthy a good test with a crunching volley, from Lisbie's lay-off. The Yeovil keeper showed strong hands to parry the shot and then catch the rebound.

Shortly afterwards and McCarthy was again exposed by slack defending. An unmarked Lisbie ghosted onto Hammond's delicate chip, but he was denied from close-in by McCarthy, before the loose ball ricocheted off a bewildered Fox and ballooned over the bar.

The visitors only had glimpses of the U's goal. They appealed for a penalty when Beevers chopped down Gavin Tomlin, but referee Russell Booth adjudged that the foul had taken place just outside the box.

Ex-U's loanee striker Sam Williams did have a sight of goal before half-time, but his shot on the turn whistled over the bar with his namesake Ben Williams untroubled.

Half-time: Colchester United 2 Yeovil Town 0

The U' were just as bright at the start of the second half, and Lisbie was unlucky to see his header fly over the bar from Fox's 50th minute corner.

Lisbie should really have been celebrating a goal on 55 minutes. The Ipswich Town loanee was put clean through by Hackney, but he lost control at the vital moment and keeper McCarthy was able to scramble the ball to safety.

Yeovil remained on the back foot and McCarthy had to be at his best again on the hour mark. Vincent met Marc Tierney's cross with a sweet strike that Yeovil's keeper was at full stretch to block.

There was finally a scare for the U's in the 70th minute. Midfielder Ryan Mason crashed in an angled drive that Williams did superbly to push away, and substitute Nathan Smith scooped the rebound into the side-netting.

And a nail-biting finale was guaranteed when MASON halved the deficit in the 81st minute. Hammond was harshly adjudged to have fouled Sam Williams, and Mason stepped up to curl the free-kick into the far corner of the net.

Manager Lambert was forced to watch the five minutes of injury-time from the stands, after he was banished from the dug-out for over-reacting to the referee not giving a penalty - Vernon had appeared to be pushed off the ball while trying to head home from close-in.

But United held on for the win.


COLCHESTER UNITED: Williams 7, Beevers 7, Baldwin 7, Okuonghae 7, Tierney 7, Vincent 8, Hammond 8, FOX 9, Hackney 8 (sub Perkins, 85), Lisbie 7 (sub Izzet, 71), Vernon 7. Unused subs: Maybury, Holt, Thomas, Wordsworth, Cousins.

YEOVIL TOWN: MCCARTHY 8, Forbes 6, Stam 7, Caulker 6, Jones 6, Murray 6, Mason 7, O'Callaghan 6, Welsh 5 (sub Smith, 61), Williams 6, Tomlin 6 (sub Obika, 63). Unused subs: Alcock, Murtagh, Martin, Lindegaard, McCollin.

Referee: Mr Russell Booth (Nottinghamshire) 7

Attendance: 4,263

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus