Brilliant Framlingham stun leaders Swaffham with late goals in cracking win

Framlingham captain James Mayhew, green and white, gets the ball from Holland's Steve Eaton in an ea

Framlingham captain James Mayhew, green and white, gets the ball from Holland's Steve Eaton in an earlier clash this season. Mayhew was on target twice at Swaffham as Fram won 2-1. Photo: DEAN WARNER - Credit: Archant

Swaffham 1 Framlingham Town 2

Framlingham’s captain James Mayhew scored a brace in the dying minutes of this top of the table clash Thurlow Nunn One clash to silence the Pedlars and their supporters.

Swaffham, boosted by an emphatic win last week and with the two top scorers in Division One, Jackson and Vincent with 60 goals between them, hosted Framlingham, making their first visit to a very compact Shoemakers Lane pitch.

Fram started well and as early as the second minute Charlie Smith volleyed narrowly wide before the home side settled and started to play their trademark early long ball forward to put pressure on the Fram defence.

Swaffham took the lead on 17 minutes when a slick through ball behind the Fram defence by Prudence found Joe Jackson who shot across Chilvers and the ball ended up in the net via the post.

You may also want to watch:

The home side continued with their swift passing however Mayhew and Johnson were keeping the home forwards at bay, Nick Castellan the ex Leicester City trialist pulling the strings in midfield. Fram created problems to the home defence throughout the first half with Charlie Smith and Alex Ling linking up well, the latter had a shot end up on top of the net from distance. Danny Smith got the better of Danny Tindall in the 46th minute but shot into the side netting from an acute angle. Joe Jackson was brought into play a lot and he created chances for Vincent and Blackford but the visitors defence were holding up to an onslaught, blocked shots, Chilver’s saves and poor finishing kept the score at 1-0.

Fram absorbed the pressure and with two minutes on the clock of normal time left Chilvers took a free kick just inside the Fram half and James Mayhew rose to bury a firm header beyond keeper Pilshorn. Not to settle for a draw Fram pushed forward and earned a disputed corner from which Mathew bundled Willets kick in on 93 minutes.

Most Read

Vincent’s free kick from the edge of the area on 95 minutes was blocked and as the final whistle was blown it was Fram, who never gave up, secure an excellent three points, as they moved up to second place in the table.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter