Frank Nouble joins Coventry City on loan, while Ipswich Town may still try and get Jonny Williams back when the ‘emergency’ loan window opens
Ipswich Town striker Frank Nouble has joined League One side Coventry City on loan until January 4 in a deal that beat the transfer deadline by minutes.
The paperwork was signed by the Town striker and the two clubs just before the 11pm cut-off point after the Sky Blues made a late approach for the former Chelsea and West Ham man.
Nouble, who made his 60th appearance for Town as a second-half substitute in Saturday’s 1-1 draw at Derby, has fallen down the pecking order in Mick McCarthy’s striking options following the arrival of Conor Sammon on a season-long loan from Derby.
He joins Paul Taylor, Anthony Wordsworth (both Rotherham), Jack Marriott (Carlisle) and Freddie Veseli (Port Vale) in being loaned out.
“I spoke to Frank a week or two back and told him that he was free to look elsewhere for his football, either on loan or on a permanent move,” McCarthy told the club website. “He’s worked hard for us but we’ve got four strikers now and he’s seen other players come in.
“He wants to play games. That’s what he needs, to be playing on a Saturday afternoon.”
Meanwhile, the EADT and Ipswich Star understands that Town owner Marcus Evans rejected bids for both David McGoldrick and Tyrone Mings towards the end of the transfer window. Evans twice knocked back Leicester City’s advances for McGoldrick, not budging on a value now reportedly as high as £11m, while Crystal Palace had an offer for left-back Mings – reportedly as much as £2.5m – dismissed.
- 1 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their victory at Forest Green
- 2 Top food event set to provide showcase for more than 100 Suffolk producers
- 3 Four taken to hospital after crash involving ambulance on A146
- 4 Andy's Angles: Five observations from Ipswich Town's win at Forest Green
- 5 Plans for former Dorothy Perkins store in Suffolk town withdrawn
- 6 McKenna on Town's Forest Green win and Harness and Morsy goals
- 7 See inside £715k mid Suffolk townhouse for sale after major revamp
- 8 Two arrests as man suffers serious injuries in pub brawl in seaside village
- 9 Decision on pub's licence deferred to next week
- 10 Driver caught speeding at 94mph in 50 zone on A140 in mid Suffolk
Town continue to keep tabs on the situation of former loan star Jonny Williams. An enquiry regarding another temporary switch for the Welsh international was lodged today and, with employers Palace signing midfielder James McArthur, the possibility of a 93-day switch when the ‘emergency’ loan window opens is not out of the question.
McCarthy spoken to the Ipswich Town club website earlier this evening about deadline day events, the interview to be published tomorrow.