Frank Nouble joins Coventry City on loan, while Ipswich Town may still try and get Jonny Williams back when the ‘emergency’ loan window opens
Ipswich Town striker Frank Nouble has joined League One side Coventry City on loan until January 4 in a deal that beat the transfer deadline by minutes.
The paperwork was signed by the Town striker and the two clubs just before the 11pm cut-off point after the Sky Blues made a late approach for the former Chelsea and West Ham man.
Nouble, who made his 60th appearance for Town as a second-half substitute in Saturday’s 1-1 draw at Derby, has fallen down the pecking order in Mick McCarthy’s striking options following the arrival of Conor Sammon on a season-long loan from Derby.
He joins Paul Taylor, Anthony Wordsworth (both Rotherham), Jack Marriott (Carlisle) and Freddie Veseli (Port Vale) in being loaned out.
“I spoke to Frank a week or two back and told him that he was free to look elsewhere for his football, either on loan or on a permanent move,” McCarthy told the club website. “He’s worked hard for us but we’ve got four strikers now and he’s seen other players come in.
You may also want to watch:
“He wants to play games. That’s what he needs, to be playing on a Saturday afternoon.”
Meanwhile, the EADT and Ipswich Star understands that Town owner Marcus Evans rejected bids for both David McGoldrick and Tyrone Mings towards the end of the transfer window. Evans twice knocked back Leicester City’s advances for McGoldrick, not budging on a value now reportedly as high as £11m, while Crystal Palace had an offer for left-back Mings – reportedly as much as £2.5m – dismissed.
- 1 Machinery to be sold following the loss of 'passionate' farmer
- 2 Town co-owner Bakay on future of Portman Road name
- 3 Band and singer pull out of Latitude Festival due to positive Covid tests
- 4 Sought-after Felixstowe beach hut sells for £88K
- 5 Empty shelves as 'pingdemic' takes its toll on Suffolk's supply chain
- 6 'I am very, very excited' - Town teenager Gibbs completes Norwich move
- 7 Crash between two motorbikes
- 8 How bride paid £1 for vintage wedding dress
- 9 69 homes for Suffolk village delayed over 'bland' design
- 10 Town Transfer Talk: Latest on Coulson, Crooks, Bishop and Downes
Town continue to keep tabs on the situation of former loan star Jonny Williams. An enquiry regarding another temporary switch for the Welsh international was lodged today and, with employers Palace signing midfielder James McArthur, the possibility of a 93-day switch when the ‘emergency’ loan window opens is not out of the question.
McCarthy spoken to the Ipswich Town club website earlier this evening about deadline day events, the interview to be published tomorrow.