GALLERY: Bury St Edmunds 72 Barking 0

Bury St Edmunds Rugby Club host Barking at the Haberden on Saturday and hand out a 72 - 0 drubbing

Bury St Edmunds Rugby Club host Barking at the Haberden on Saturday and hand out a 72 - 0 drubbing Logan Dodds powers through - Credit: Archant

Bury ended a memorable 2013 with an 11-try demolition of a hapless Barking side.

Young and inexperienced Barking gave their all, but the gulf between the two squads was evident for all to see and at times it made uncomfortable viewing.

Within five minutes Bury had opened the scoring.

After weathering an initial thrust, Tanimo Samoa’s fine tactical kick set up hooker Beau Gibson to power his way over from short range.

The fragile dam broken, Bury went on to score a further 10 tries in the match, although at times over elaboration or selfish play actually cost Bury the chance to score more.

You may also want to watch:

Casey Stone proved too quick for the cover defence for the next score after good work by Samoa and a Dave Ormrod penalty put Bury 15–0 up after 20 minutes.

And Bury ran in four more tries before the break as they proved superior in all departments.

Most Read

Left wing Chris Snelling skipped in by the posts, skipper Matt Edison held off several would-be tacklers to set up Samoa, No 8 Logan Dodds was the beneficiary of Bury winning the ball against the head at a scrum 10 metres out and Edison himself scored a deserved try from a ruck close to the line to make it 39-0 at the half.

Barking again began the half with fire in their belly and for the first 20 minutes made life difficult for Bury.

Snelling was sent to the bin for kicking the ball away in frustration and down to 14 men, Bury went back to their strengths. The forwards earned a penalty and then won their line-out close to the Barking line to allow Oscar Lechner the simple chance to touch-down as the pack drove over.

And Barking’s brave resistance seemed to disappear as the wind whipped up.

Ben Radmall had been introduced from the bench and he led the charge as Bury scored four more tries in the last 20 minutes, just as they did in the first half.

Stone’s fantastic interplay with Samoa set up the latter for a swallow-diving score.

It was all Bury now and Morrison, Edison and Bixby were having a field day as they rampaged down field, often from stolen line outs or rucks.

One such attack sent Bury deep into the Barking half. Snelling stood up well in the tackle, made himself a target and allowed Ormrod to jink away from the ruck to score by the posts.

His conversion of his own try to go with six other conversions and a penalty gave him a personal tally of 22 points for the day.

A barnstorming Radmall charge led to youngster Sean Davis powering over from close range to make it 67–0 with eight minutes remaining.

Bury showed no mercy to the visitors as they continued to press till the end.

Fine handling once again saw a counter attack take Bury from their own 22 to the visitors in moments.

Quick ruck ball went wide left and the Bury players were queuing up to score in front of the grandstand.

To their credit, the players did not get greedy, rather they fixed their man to ensure Snelling capped a fine performance with a deserved score

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus