GALLERY: Bury St Edmunds go down to heavy Dorking defeat

Bury's Beau Gibson runs at the Dorking defence

Bury's Beau Gibson runs at the Dorking defence - Credit: Archant

Despite scoring five tries away from home against the league leaders, Bury were humbled at Dorking with an error-strewn defensive display and poor discipline costing them dear.

Dorking had won all their previous 11 games and, after Bury’s Dave Ormrod missed an early penalty for the visitors, they took the lead through fly-half Cam Pimlow who put his team 7-0 up.

Bury weathered a series of scrums in their own 22 to counter attack well and Beau Gibson led the charge, barnstorming his way to the half way line. Quick ruck ball went wide left and Snelling did well to keep the ball alive to feed Tanimo Samoa on the inside for a fine score. Ormrod’s extras levelled the score.

The intensity of Bury’s attacks clearly unnerved Dorking and they took the lead on 23 minutes when a turn over at the base of a scrum allowed the visitors to attack again, Samoa dancing his way over for a 14-7 lead.

Bury then suffered eight minutes of madness where they conceded 17 points.

You may also want to watch:

A penalty, directly from the re-start, was despatched by Andy Frost. From the next re-start Bury were alleged to be in front of the kicker and the resulting scrum on halfway saw No 8 Rob Fee run unchallenged to the last line of defence before slipping the ball to Ryan Lucas for a simple score.

Bury then helped Dorking to another score when defending a line out on their own five-metre line. Dodds got a hand on the ball but he could only deflect it down into the path of Armand Roux for a soft try. Dorking led 24–14.

Most Read

Both sides scored again before the break, leaving the half-time score 31-21, Will Crow grabbing a converted try for Dorking before Bury reduced the arrears, Casey Stone slicing his way through for a great score by the sticks.

Bury had the advantage of the small slope and breeze at their backs in the second period but Dorking were smarter, more disciplined and more clinical. Flank forward Watts scored the hosts’ first score of the second period after Bury made a hash of clearing a scrum, before Pimlow added the next score.

Bury were to concede 19 second half penalties as they completely failed to tune in to Uruguayan referee Luis Caviglia.

A bold attempt to run the ball out of their own 22 was punished by Crow as Bury spilled an optimistic pass to Samoa, and the 50-point margin breached with plenty of time left on the clock.

Bury scored next when Stone sent Garrard racing down field. The flyer showed great composure to make good ground before fixing the last man and sending his supplier Stone in by the posts for a fine score.

The respite was short lived though as Bury’s Mason was shown a yellow for a culmination of offences by his team.

Bury thwarted several initial thrusts but then, from a line-out seven metres out they chose not to challenge and allowed Dorking to drive into their own men. The referee disagreed and Fee scored.

From the re-start, Samoa clumsily took a man out whilst in the air and Gavin Hogg’s men were down to 13 men and Dorking took advantage scoring two more tries.

Restored to 14 men, the visitors deservedly scored a fifth try when Gibson powered over. The conversion was successful.


Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter