GALLERY: Crowds turn out for Colchester Rugby Festival
More than 2,000 spectators packed into Colchester Rugby Club last weekend for its annual Mini and Midi Rugby Festival.
In total 93 teams and almost 1,000 players across age groups from under 7 up to under 12 took part in 250 matches on the day, across 15 pitches, at an event which took several months to plan.
The aim of the festival is to promote and support local junior rugby. Teams taking part were Colchester, Bishops Stortford, Maldon, Harwich, Ipswich, Ipswich YM, Stowmarket, Sudbury, Woodbridge, and Hadleigh.
Festival Manager Jack Hedley said: “Each age group had a festival winner plus there were finals for runners up, shield, and plate.
“It was a terrific day and a great advert for local junior rugby and once the whistle blew at 10.30 it was fantastic to see so much activity and hear the encouragement.
“Tribute must be paid to the squad of volunteers who refereed, sold programmes, marshalled the car park, manned the control tents and kept the schedule on track plus the medical, catering, sweet shop, and bar staff.
“Planning starts now for the 2015 Festival!”
- 1 Snow falls in Suffolk overnight as cold snap set to continue
- 2 Fire breaks out at British Sugar Factory
- 3 Matchday Recap: Outrageous Celina wins it for Town
- 4 'Calm, graceful and kind': Tributes paid to martial arts world champion
- 5 No timescale for when Suffolk road closed due to flooding can reopen
- 6 Nearly 150 homes to go on land no longer needed for jobs
- 7 More than 20 drivers caught at speeds of 100mph on A14 within an hour
- 8 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 9 Ipswich Town 2-1 Crewe Alexandra: Celina brilliance just about enough to see Blues home
- 10 Hitchhiker died after being hit by lorry wing mirror on A143