GALLERY: Ipswich Town youngsters knocked out of FA Youth Cup in penalty shoot-out by Sunderland

Ipswich Town midfielder Amir Berkane reflects on his side's defeat

Ipswich Town midfielder Amir Berkane reflects on his side's defeat - Credit: James Ager

FA Youth Cup Third Round Ipswich 1 Sunderland 1 aet Sunderland win 4-2 on penalties It was an unlucky Ipswich side that exited the FA Youth Cup Third Round at the hands of Sunderland at Portman Road tonight, falling to defeat on penalties.

In a game which saw both sides enjoy spells of dominance the home side can feel hard done by after solid play which probably merited the win in normal time.

Byron Lawrence was at the heart of most things good for Town and Omar Sowumni played well in central defence. Jack Willbye, who scored Ipswich’s goal, was unlucky to be taken off in the second half to make way for a more attacking player as the hosts tried to retake the lead.

Lawrence almost got Town off to a fantastic start when his second-minute shot crashed down off the underside of the crossbar.

Fortunately for Maks Stryjek in the Sunderland goal it came back into play and was swiftly cleared.

Most of the first 25 minutes was concentrated in the centre of the park though, as both sides worked to build momentum and confidence.

Things started to pick up just before the half-hour mark, Lawrence breaking into the centre from the right wing before possession was lost on the edge of Stryjek’s area.

Most Read

Lynden Gooch’s shot after 30 minutes was straight at Michael Crowe and as he bowled the ball out to Robinson, Andrew Nelson fouled the Ipswich left-back and earned the first booking of the game.

Town were quickly down the other end and good play from Lawrence saw him win the game’s first corner which Willbye sent over everyone from the left.

However he made amends shortly after when, in the 37th minute, he picked up the ball 35 yards out and fired home a powerful dipping shot which caught the back-pedalling Stryjek off-guard.

The second half was a livelier affair as Sunderland came out chasing the game but Ipswich started brighter, a gilt-edged chance for George Clarke going wide after Lawrence’s cross found him in plenty space just outside the six-yard box.

Sunderland’s first chance of the half brought their goal as Gooch slipped through a clutch of Town players after 53 minutes and saw his low shot helped past Crowe by a deflection.

Ipswich tried to get back ahead quickly, Bishop’s effort just five minutes later flashing just wide of Stryjek’s goal and Willbye coming off for the more attacking Cemal Ramadan.

One of the best runs of the game came on 75 minutes when the same player weaved his way into the box and tried to take it round Stryjek.

The Sunderland custodian pushed it wide but couldn’t hold it, allowing Teddy Bishop to try and cut it back for a teammate with the ‘keeper on the floor. However a Sunderland boot got to the ball first and it was cleared away.

Hammond almost won it for Town just before the half entered time added-on, a lofted ball finding him well forward on the right but it was taken off his foot as he pulled the trigger.

Fatigue amongst all on the pitch was evident when extra-time started and chances were few and far between for both sides. The best chance of the additional 30 minutes fell to Ramadan who broke into the box after breaking for the home side but a deflection took the pace off his shot and Stryjek claimed it easily.

The agony of penalties was called upon to decide the match and after an average game for Stryjek he became the hero, saving penalties from Lawrence and Joe Robinson to help his team into the fourth round and dumping Ipswich out at the first hurdle.


Ipswich (4-1-3-2): Michael Crowe; Kyle Hammond, George Fowler, Omar Sowumni, Joe Robinson (c); Jack Willbye; Byron Lawrence, Amir Berkane, Matthew Clarke; George Clarke, Edward Bishop.

Subs: Ronaldo Jones, Jacob Marsden, Edward Ellis, Cemal Ramadan (for Willbye, 63), Samuel Ford.

Sunderland (4-4-2): Maks Strysek; Ryan Ellison, Ross Colquhoun, Thomas Beadling, Thomas Robson; Rees Greenwood, Martin Smith (c), Ethan Robson, Dylan McEvoy; Lynden Gooch, Andrew Nelson.

Subs: Jordan Blinco, Peter Burke, James Stinson, Daniel Wright, David Lowrie (for Ellison, 69)

Referee: Jonathan Burridge. Assistants: Joseph Karram, Joshua Few. Fourth Official: Oliver Morris-Sanders.

Scorers: Willbye (37); Gooch (55)

Ipswich penalties: Ramdan (scored), Lawrence (saved), Hammond (scored), Robinson (saved).

Sunderland penalties: Smith (scored), E Robson (saved), Greenwood (scored), T Robson (scored).

Attendance: 391