Garvey's overhaul continues at Braintree
BRAINTREE Town have made George Purcell their latest signing in manager Robbie Garvey's summer overhaul of the Blue Square South club.The 21-year-old skilful and pacey striker, who can also play wide left, has joined the Iron from Blue Square Premier side Ebbsfleet United.
BRAINTREE Town have made George Purcell their latest signing in manager Robbie Garvey's summer overhaul of the Blue Square South club.
The 21-year-old skilful and pacey striker, who can also play wide left, has joined the Iron from Blue Square Premier side Ebbsfleet United.
He was first spotted playing in the Gravesend youth leagues by Gillingham and subsequently went through the youth ranks at Priestfield.
Released in the summer of 2006, Purcell established himself more in the Ebbsfleet side during 2007-08, having enjoyed a handful of run-outs in the Conference the year before.
You may also want to watch:
Last season he spent time on loan at both Heybridge Swifts and Ramsgate, but featured regularly in a striker's role following his return to Stonebridge Road, making 20 appearances for the Kent club.
Iron boss Garvey said: “George is a lad I've been aware of for a year or two. He's done really well at Ebbsfleet and progressed with a couple of spells on loan with Ryman sides. Still only 21, he's hungry for success and I know he will do well for us at Cressing Road.”
- 1 Matchday Recap: Aluko brace not enough as Blues draw at Cambridge
- 2 Covid vaccine boosters now available at walk in sessions
- 3 Have you had the 'worst cold ever' that is going round Suffolk?
- 4 New fishmonger shop opens in Suffolk market town
- 5 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
- 6 'I'll never shut up shop' - Cook on 2-2 draw at Cambridge United
- 7 MoD warns about late-night Apache training
- 8 New details emerge about diesel spill which closed A14 for 12 hours
- 9 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 10 Driver presses ahead with police complaint despite losing speeding trial
Purcell is Braintree's fifth signing since the close of the season following the acquisitions of 29-year-old centre-half Adam Bailey-Dennis from Colchester United, 21-year-old versatile right-back Ryan Peters from Ryman League side Margate, 27-year old centre-half Lynvall Duncan and striker Matt Game who is 24.
The Essex club - who will revert to their traditional home colours of yellow next season - released Danny Hockton, Wayne O'Sullivan, Chris Piper, Micky Shinn and Gareth Williams at the end of the last campaign.