George Elokobi leaves Colchester United after failing to agree new deal
- Credit: Richard Blaxall / Pagepix
George Elokobi WILL NOT be at Colchester United next season.
The experienced defender has failed to agree terms over a new deal, and his current contract expired on Friday, so he is now a free agent.
Elokobi revealed today: “I have not been able to agree the terms that the club have offered.
“I don’t want to get into the nitty gritty of this. It would not be fair and correct, but I really appreciate the love and support I have received from the fans, and wish everyone the best.
“I wish everyone all the best for the season ahead, and thereafter.
“It’s with a heavy heart, and as things stand, I am a free agent,” added Elokobi.
Cameroon-born Elokobi began his professional career at Colchester, after being recruited from non-league Dulwich Hamlet in 2004.
- 1 Glamping pods and shepherd huts proposed in holiday site expansion
- 2 Town reject bid for midfielder Fraser but no Matete move
- 3 Look inside 'immaculately presented' property with own bar and heated pool
- 4 Police apology after cars accidentally damaged by stinger device on A14
- 5 Ed Sheeran pays the most tax of any celebrity in the UK
- 6 'It is really sad': End of an era as popular pub landlords call time
- 7 Ipswich Town sign Brentford full-back Thompson on loan
- 8 Popular Sudbury bakery reveals aim to save town's post office
- 9 Suffolk entrepreneur Mike Lynch loses $5bn fraud case with Hewlett Packard
- 10 Parents’ fury as bouncy castle business leaves children in the lurch
He went on to make 39 league appearances for the U’s, as a no-nonsense left-back during Phil Parkinson’s successful era, before moving on to play at a higher level for Wolves, Nottingham Forest (on loan) and Bristol City (on loan), and then at League One Oldham.
He returned to the U’s, on a two-year deal from Oldham in the summer of 2015, and went on to make a further 46 league appearances for the Essex club.
After an initial spell on loan at Braintree in the National League last autumn, Elokobi established himself in the U’s first-team from late November, 2016, his return coinciding with a season-changing 3-0 win at Cheltenham Town which ended a winless run stretching to 13 matches in all competitions.
The 31-year-old is now on the search for a new club, and is available on a free transfer.