George Moncur on target as Colchester United escape relegation
Colchester United 1 Preston North End 0
George Moncur slid home an 82nd minute winner as Colchester United avoided relegation to League Two by the skin of their teeth, in front of a crowd of 8,413 this afternoon.
Moncur was in the right place to receive Chris Porter’s pass and then sweep his low shot beyond the reach of static Preston keeper, Sam Johnstone.
That goal meant that the U’s escaped the bottom four, on the final day, leapfrogging both Crawley and Notts County to stay up.
In the process, today’s defeat denied Preston automatic promotion, with MK Dons snatching the second spot instead.
You may also want to watch:
And The U’s could even afford to miss a penalty!
Chris Porter’s 57th minute penalty miss looked like it would prove costly, because Tony Humes’ men had to win, to stand a chance of beating the drop.
- 1 People with these surnames in Suffolk could be owed a fortune
- 2 Valley Ridge ski resort in jeopardy amid furious row over landfill site
- 3 'Never seen anything like it' - community pulls together to revamp pub
- 4 Delays after car crashes into level crossing
- 5 Where are Suffolk’s outstanding schools?
- 6 Man left with cuts to his head after being bottled following fight in Suffolk town
- 7 Mapped: Suffolk postcodes with lowest level of Covid cases
- 8 Mike Bacon: Never delve too deeply into those pre-season results
- 9 Tourists turn to inland Suffolk as coast books up
- 10 Gill on the move again as former Town coach heads to the Championship
Moncur was brought down inside the penalty area, by a scrambling Sam Johnstone, and referee Keith Stroud pointed to the spot.
The Preston keeper was booked for the challenge, but did not have to even make a save from the resulting penalty, as Porter’s poor effort soared several feet over the bar.
But Porter’s penalty, in the end, did not prove the difference between staying up and going down.
Thanks to George Moncur!
COLCHESTER: Walker, Brindley, Khumalo, Eastman, Briggs, Fox, Gilbey (sub Szmodics, 81), Moncur, Massey (sub Wynter, 90+2), Porter, Murphy (sub Sembie-Ferris, 81). Unused subs: Lewington, Healey, Bonne, Lapslie.
PRESTON: Johnstone, Clarke, Wright, Huntington, Laird (sub Davies, 86), Humphrey (sub Robinson, 58), Welsh, Johnson, Gallagher, Garner, Beckford (sub Ebanks-Blake, 88). Unused subs: Stuckmann, Wiseman, Kilkenny, Woods.
Referee: Keith Stroud (Hants)
Attendance: 8,413 (2,969 away fans)