Giant opener Jefferson to leave Essex
BATSMAN Will Jefferson has quit Essex to find first-team cricket elsewhere.Officially, the 26-year-old 6ft 10in opener will not renew his contract when it expires at the end of next month but the club has agreed to his departure with immediate effect.
BATSMAN Will Jefferson has quit Essex to find first-team cricket elsewhere.
Officially, the 26-year-old 6ft 10in opener will not renew his contract when it expires at the end of next month but the club has agreed to his departure with immediate effect.
“I have had a very frustrating year due to an accident sustained in the pre-season period and the consequences of this have been that my opportunities to play first-team cricket have been severely limited,” said Jefferson.
“With the progress of others I feel the best chance of furthering my career in the game lies elsewhere.'
You may also want to watch:
Essex chief executive David East added: “It is always very disappointing when we lose players, particularly those who have been part of our development system for many years.
“Will has been a great asset to the club but we fully understand his reasoning and respect the decision he has made.
- 1 Where are Suffolk’s outstanding schools?
- 2 Mapped: Suffolk postcodes with lowest level of Covid cases
- 3 Andy's Angles: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss to Millwall
- 4 People with these surnames in Suffolk could be owed a fortune
- 5 Major former Debenhams store could remain empty until 2023
- 6 Warnock and Dijon boss give updates on Town targets Coulson and Celina
- 7 'Never seen anything like it' - community pulls together to revamp pub
- 8 Blues star looking forward to 'getting down to business'
- 9 Valley Ridge ski resort in jeopardy amid furious row over landfill site
- 10 Bridal shop opens in well-known former Sudbury bookshop
“We think it is in Will's best interest to make a clean break now so that he can fully investigate alternative cricket opportunities while the season is ongoing.”