Gillespie blow for U's
STEVEN Gillespie's late goal at Ipswich last night, in a 2-1 defeat, could have come at a big cost to Colchester United.Club record signing Gillespie netted with a sublime chip, but immediately left the pitch nursing a leg injury, which required some treatment with a bag-of-ice straight away.
STEVEN Gillespie's late goal at Ipswich last night, in a 2-1 defeat, could have come at a big cost to Colchester United.
Club record signing Gillespie netted with a sublime chip, but immediately left the pitch nursing a leg injury, which required some treatment with a bag-of-ice straight away. Ironically, the ex-Liverpool trainee was only just returning from a thigh injury.
U's boss Geraint Williams confirmed: “Steven (Gillespie) is having a scan as we speak. It's his hamstring this time, on the other leg to his thigh problem. He did it over-stretching with the goal.
“We'll have to wait and see the outcome of the scan, but I felt that Steven was back to the kind of form that he showed for us in pre-season.
“We're disappointed that we never got behind Ipswich in the first-half. Then we mugged ourselves with our defending. Both their goals should have been stopped.
- 1 No timescale for when Suffolk road closed due to flooding can reopen
- 2 Snow possible overnight as 50mph gusts set to arrive in Suffolk
- 4 Dispersal order put in place for coastal town
- 5 A12 blocked following two vehicle crash
- 6 Is this the cheapest house for sale in Suffolk?
- 7 Hitchhiker died after being hit by lorry wing mirror on A143
- 8 Case of new Omicron Covid variant identified in Essex
- 9 JCB skip loader worth £5,500 stolen from Suffolk village
- 10 Man caught massaging woman's leg by husband viewing home CCTV
“We should have stopped Kevin Lisbie on the half-way line for his goal. Then it was a double cardinal sin because we also didn't keep the ball away from his right foot.
“We thought that we knew how to stop him scoring, but we didn't keep it away from his right foot. We then created four or five good chances ourselves, but we didn't take them so we're out of the cup,” added Williams.