Golf: Abbott and Swan face Lincolnshire
Golf: Jamie Abbott of Fynn Valley, who finished joint 25th in the Lytham Trophy, and Michael Swan of Stoke by Nayland who missed the cut by one shot, are both included in the Suffolk team to face Lincolnshire at Greetham Valley on Sunday.
Jamie Abbott of Fynn Valley, who finished joint 25th in the Lytham Trophy, and Michael Swan of Stoke by Nayland who missed the cut by one shot, are both included in the Suffolk team to face Lincolnshire at Greetham Valley on Sunday.
Suffolk also bank on experienced campaigners such as Alex Holmes, Chris Smith, David Quinney and Will Wright in the first Anglian League match of the season.
They also call on teenagers Liam Brace and Welsh under 18 international Rhodri Harston.
Suffolk captain Martin Youngs has developed a splendid team spirit over recent years which will be needed if Lincolnshire, last year's champions, are to be defeated.
Suffolk amateur champion Scott Brace is still at college in the United States as is Aldeburgh's James Reiss. Kristian Day of Ipswich, who might also have been in contention, will be in Austria on in the world ski-golf championship.
- 1 'Calm, graceful and kind': Tributes paid to martial arts world champion
- 2 More than 20 drivers caught at speeds of 100mph on A14 within an hour
- 3 Snow falls in Suffolk overnight as cold snap set to continue
- 4 Dedicated daughter steps up after tragic death of 'amazing' mum Heidi
- 5 Fire breaks out at British Sugar Factory
- 6 Police cordon off Stowmarket dentist after break-in
- 7 'The bigger picture is the result' - Cook on Crewe win
- 8 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-1 Crewe win
- 9 5 roadworks for Suffolk motorists to plan their journeys around this week
- 10 Stu says: Six observations following Town's 2-1 win against Crewe
The first 18-holes of Greetham Valley were built on farmland in 1990. Another 18 were completed in 1999. The course is in Rutland, quite near Oakham.
The Suffolk team is: Jamie Abbott, Chris Smith (both Fynn Valley), Alex Holmes (Gorleston), Will Wright (Rushmere), Michael Swan, Liam Brace (both Stoke by Nayland), Rhodri Harston (Felixstowe Ferry), David Quinney (Haverhill).
The Suffolk second team meet Lincolnshire seconds at Rushmere on the same day. Hugo Dobson (Fynn Valley), fourth in the Fairhaven Trophy on Sunday, is one of five young players in a side balanced by the experience of Kevin Eagle and Tom Wright on their home course and Brad Wilkins of Fynn Valley.
The other younger players are Sam Forgan (Stowmarket), Owen Pearl (Stoke by Nayland), Tom Stephenson (Bury St Edmunds) and Phil Westley (Hintlesham),