Great Britain lose 8-1 to Spain in Champions Trophy
Great Britain saw their medal hopes crushed after they were thumped 8-1 by Spain in their third Champions Trophy game, in New Zealand.
It proved to be a game to forget for former Ipswich School pupils, George Pinner and Harry Martin, the former making his debut in the tournament, in goal
Britain took the lead through Barry Middleton in the 23rd minute but were trailing 4-1 just eight minutes later as Spain hit back emphatically in the final Group A fixture.
Jason Lee’s side will face Pakistan and two teams from Group B in the contest for fifth place.
Great Britain have seen their hopes of a medal at the Champions Trophy in Auckland ended with a heavy 8-1 defeat to Spain.
You may also want to watch:
Britain scored first through Barry Middleton in the 23rd minute, but eight minutes later they trailed 4-1 as Spain launched a devastating response in the final Group A fixture.
After seeing his side ripped apart by Spain, coach Lee said: “We did well to get ahead in the game and then conceded two of the softest goals you’ll ever see. We found ourselves chasing the game from then on. Our skill and execution were very poor.”
- 1 Derelict Suffolk railway crossing cottage up for auction
- 2 East Suffolk village garage to be rebuilt as part of homes plan
- 3 A14 reopens after HGV crashes into central reservation
- 4 West Suffolk restaurant named among best in the country
- 5 'I'm just gobsmacked': east Suffolk pub receives £96,000 grant in Budget
- 6 Channel 4 documentary to be filmed at Suffolk pub
- 7 Donacien's 'feeling the love' after returning from the Ipswich Town shadows
- 8 Map reveals raw sewage overflow into Suffolk rivers
- 9 Asda and Amazon urgently recall items due to safety concerns
- 10 Woman taken to hospital following three-car crash near Bury St Edmunds