Halstead Road Runners earn promotion to Division One in Essex League
- Credit: Archant
Halstead Road Runners put in a superb performance at the final fixture in this season’s Essex Cross Country League, staged at Gloucester Park in Basildon.
The tough course involved several steep climbs, plus sticky terrain under foot and freezing weather, but Halstead runners coped well in the conditions.
The ladies raced first with Hazel Buist (29th) showing she can compete with the best in Essex. She was followed closely by team-mate Rosie Atkins (35th) and Mel Candler (38th).
Wendy Carter (52nd) completed the Halstead scorers, while Sarah Frost (79th) continued her consistent form as a key member of the ladies’ squad.
Halstead RR’s men, with all to play for, gave it everything with Wesley Atkins (67th), Jim Clark (76th), a rare appearance from Stuart Prestney (90th), captain Dan Hollinshead (96th), Bob Langley (105th) and Andy Carter (152nd) completing the scoring team. The experienced Langley, who championed the club’s return to this league after several years’ break, also won the overall over-60 veteran age category for the season.
You may also want to watch:
Both the ladies and men finished third team on the day, in their respective categories in Division Two.
The final league positions in Division Two saw Halstead ladies in the runners-up spot, and the men in third, beating Billericay Striders by just one point.
- 1 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 2 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 3 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 4 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 5 New shop for farm that focuses on mental health
- 6 Major A14 roundabout may not reopen until next week as water main repaired
- 7 Large cannabis farm discovered in property near Suffolk-Essex border
- 8 From obscurity to a nailed-on starter - Donacien's remarkable Town journey
- 9 Nsiala on his injury return, a rollercoaster Town career and 'hugging it out' with boss Cook
- 10 'It was always going to be' - Cook confirms Morsy as Town's club captain
This means that both the ladies and the men have been promoted and will be competing in Division One next season. This is a fantastic achievement for the club and all involved.
The local cross country season comes to an end this weekend, with the final fixture in the 53-12 League at Notley Park.
Meanwhile, the previous weekend several members of Halstead RR took part in the popular Great Bentley Half-Marathon, with Rosie Atkins, Jonathan Buist, Tom Porter and Heidi Worf all improving on previous times.
Leaduing Halstead RR results: Wesley Atkins 1.23.54 (PB), Richard Candler 1.28.43, Tom Porter 1.29.08 (PB), Jonathan Buist 1.33.32 (PB), Rosie Atkins 1.43.44 (PB), Kathryn Bronson 1.43.44, Caroleina Cameron 1.43.47, Sam Wilson 1.54.57, Leigh-Anne Porter 1.55.30 (PB), Chris Hill 2.03.04, Adam Buckle 2.03.59, Heidi Worf 2.06.35 (PB), Sara Burnham 2.08.40; Keith Thorogood 2.15.35, Lizzie Griffiths 2.29.29.