Harleston Magpies III 3 Ely 1
NE14Hockey East Men’s League
WHATEVER the sport, it is important for sides that are newly promoted that they take their chances early on. It was therefore somewhat disappointing for Harleston Magpies Men’s thirds when their captain missed an open goal from two feet out with his side trailing 0-1 to Ely.
Up until that point the visitors had virtually controlled the game, bringing out the best in Magpies’ defence and limiting Harleston to one shot against the inside of the post from Gavin Cole and a couple of other half chances.
However, rather then getting downhearted Magpies seemed spurred on by the miss and Matt Brand soon had a chance to correct his error when he confidently tidied up from a Toby Hughes effort, before Hughes took his side into the lead.
You may also want to watch:
Magpies’ midfield of Stacey, Hughes, Carpenter, Cummings and man of the match, Brice had turned the game. The performance was completed with a flourish when Brand found beating the goalkeeper from the top of the circle easier than the opportunity he had “declined” some 15 minutes previous.
With the points secured the whole squad and their greatly appreciated spectators, will now feel Magpies are “into the league”, and will take this confidence with them on next week’s trip to Bourne.
- 1 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 2 Boy, 5, in critical condition after incident at department store
- 3 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 4 Town bosses on 'Chequebook FC' nickname, Premier League timeframe and more
- 6 Chaplin is Cook's 'assassin' who was once taught a tough lesson by the Town boss
- 7 Man arrested on suspicion of murdering Victoria Hall
- 8 Suffolk sprinter opens her 'dream' cafe at age of 25
- 9 Boy, 13, pulled from moat at Framlingham Castle
- 10 Town's first game of the season will be all-ticket