Ipswich hockey duo George Pinner and Harry Martin picked for Commonwealth Games
- Credit: Grant Treeby
Suffolk hockey stars George Pinner and Harry Martin will be going for gold with England at the Commonwealth Games in Australia next month.
The Olympians are both included in the 18-man squad which will head to the Gold Coast having won silver at the recent Sultan Azlan Shah Cup in Malaysia.
The duo both won bronze with England at the last Commonwealth Games in Glasgow back in 2014.
England will face Malaysia, Pakistan, Wales and India in pool B with the top two sides qualifying for the semi-finals with the men’s final taking place on April 14.
Head coach Bobby Crutchley said: “We couldn’t be more excited for the Commonwealth Games in Australia. As a squad we have been training very hard and very well.
“We start with a tough opening match against Malaysia and we are very much focused on that and making the semi-finals and ultimately looking to win a medal.”
- 1 Major west Suffolk reopens after lorry and car crash
- 2 The early betting favourites to be the next Town boss
- 3 Will it be another lockdown Christmas?
- 4 McGreal named interim boss as Cook's coaches all depart
- 5 'It was unanimous... this season's not dead' - Ashton on why Town sacked Cook
- 6 Trio jailed as travellers' site shooting described as 'like a movie scene'
- 7 Member of staff assaulted in armed robbery at west Suffolk Post Office
- 8 North Stander: We've become a sacking club - and that makes me uneasy
- 9 Ashton on whether a new boss is lined up, the type of manager he's searching for, possible reunions and Town's timeframe for an appointment
- 10 The best fossil hunting spots across East Anglia