Hartlepool Utd v Colchester Utd
Coca-Cola League One
Hartlepool United 3 Colchester United 1
COLCHESTER United’s play-off ambitions are all but over following a sixth successive away defeat at Hartlepool.
Once again the U’s threw away a winning position on their travels to fall six points behind sixth-place Huddersfield with just three games to go.
Aidy Boothroyd’s took the lead in the eighth minute when Clive Platt’s unselfish pull-back allowed Ian Henderson to fire into an unguarded net.
You may also want to watch:
The Essex imploded after their opener though and, following a crazy 11 minute spell, they quickly found themselves behind.
Hartlepool equalised in the 11th minute when striker James Brown was left unmarked to head home from six yards.
- 1 Man left with serious burns after fire at Hadleigh petrol station
- 2 Community thanked for helping seriously burned man at Hadleigh petrol station
- 3 Matchday Recap: Town beaten yet again as Blues flop at Northampton
- 4 DHL driver apologises after 'dangerous' driving in Ipswich rat-run
- 5 George Burley: Ipswich fans' dreams would have been shattered by a European Super League
- 6 Rose-tinted reaction to Duke's death was so out of proportion
- 7 Commuter faces full trains on line from East Anglia to London
- 8 Retailer to pay £60K after multiple food hygiene breaches in Sudbury store
- 9 Town's new owners to discuss player recruitment with Cook this week
- 10 New survey reveals Suffolk's property hotspots
Then, following a concerted spell of pressure, the hosts deservedly took the lead in the 19th minute when Sunderland loanee Roy O’Donovan was afforded too much space in the box to turn and shoot low into the bottom corner.
Colchester improved slightly after the break but, after Kevin Lisbie twiuce went close with glancing headers, the result was sealed in the 84th minute when O’Donovan converted from the spot after substitute Simon Hackney had fouled Leon McSweeney in the box.
- Full match report and reaction in Monday’s EADT.