Heartbreak for Bury as they lose at high-flying Chinnor

Mark Kohler was on the scoresheet for Bury in their heartbreaking defeat at Chinnor.
Picture: AND

Mark Kohler was on the scoresheet for Bury in their heartbreaking defeat at Chinnor. Picture: ANDY ABBOTT - Credit: Archant

National League Two South Chinnor 27 Bury St Edmunds 28 Bury suffered an agonising defeat away at promotion chasing Chinnor.

The Oxfordshire side are guaranteed a play-off place but still entertain hopes of gaining automatic promotion, however on Saturday they were fortunate to escape with a victory after Bury had led for 75 minutes.

Bury can feel pretty aggrieved that all their endeavours were not rewarded with a famous scalp. Yes, Chinnor had the edge in the scrum and used it as their primary attacking weapon, but four yellows and two penalty tries awarded against the visitors was hard to stomach.

The Suffolk side were in the face of the hosts from the off and when Chinnor laboured the ball away from the first scrum, Mark Kohler intercepted and raced 50-metres away to score by the sticks after just three minutes.

Eight minutes later, Sam Bixby was to the fore in gaining turnovers and when another was won, King, Mitchell and Ashby in turn made good ground to get Bury into the 22. Bury recycled well and put Ross Taylor over in the corner to make it 12-0.

You may also want to watch:

Chinnor were stunned but they decided to go to strength to get back into the game. A series of catch and drives culminated in a penalty try being awarded and Yas Browne being shown a yellow for his part in pulling the maul down.

Bury refused to be put off their stride and they never allowed Chinnor to properly clear their lines after the re start.

Most Read

Kohler received the ball 12-metres out and farce reigned when his delicate kick through was missed by one defender and fumbled by another to allow him to drop down on the ball for a second score.

Honey’s fine conversion made it 19–7 and that lead was extended when he knocked over a penalty after a high tackle was finally punished.

Chinnor grabbed another try, and it was 22-14 Bury at the break.

After the break, the home side came out and camped on the Bury line. Scrums were taken, Bury creaked, a yellow was shown to Kohler for a midfield offside, and then finally the hosts rumbled over from close range to make it 22–21 after Bentley’s fine conversion.

But back came Bury, Will Scholes cantering home for a try but crucially Honey missed the extras and it was 27-22.

Heartbreakingly, as Chinnor drove again and again, Ashby was yellow carded and a match-winning penalty try was awarded to the visitors.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus