Henderson signs two-year deal
IAN Henderson has signed a new two-year contract at Colchester United.
The 26-year-old wasted little in penning the deal in manager John Ward’s office this morning on his first day back from holiday.
The versatile attacking midfielder scored five goals in the last six games of the season to finish the campaign as the Essex club’s leading League One goalscorer.
And he has decided to stay at The Weston Homes Community Stadium rather than follow Player of the Year David Perkins out of the the club on a Bosman free transfer.
“It’s signed, sealed and delivered and I’m really pleased,” said Ward.
You may also want to watch:
“It was important to keep Ian because he made a lot of starts and scored a lot of goals twoards the end of the season.
“Because of that form he was entitled to go away and think about the contract for a bit, but as soon as he returned from holiday he just said ‘where’s the pen – I’m ready to sign’.”
- 1 A12 reopens after serious collision
- 3 Family 'devastated' after elderly man's Reliant Robin tipped over
- 4 Swimmers report sickness symptoms after dip in Suffolk river
- 5 Haverhill firm goes into liquidation with just £2.42 in the bank
- 6 Suffolk pub reopens with exclusive Champagne carvery
- 7 Our Ipswich Town predictions: Top scorer, best player, where they'll finish and more
- 8 Olly Murs in hospital after leg injury from Newmarket Nights gig
- 9 Man who built outbuildings and lake without permission fined £1,300
- 10 Snape Maltings launches two new restaurants with far-reaching river views
Henderson added: “I’m really happy to sign and am excited about next season.
“I never even thought about leaving. Most of it had been agreed before I went away on holiday, it was just a case of getting it signed as soon as I was back.”
Ward will now focus on adding to his thin-on-the-ground forward line. He has already made offers to two out-of-contract strikers and is awaiting their response.
– The name game. Find out which forwards Ward has NOT been in contact with in tomorrow’s EADT.