Hockey Olympic test event to be held in May
GREAT Britain’s Hockey teams will meet a number of top nations at an Olympic test event in May, ahead of this summer’s Games in London.
Team GB’s men’s team, which included former Ipswich School duo George Pinner and Harry Martin at last December’s Champions Trophy, will face Germany and Australia, as well as eight-time gold medal winners India at a four-nations event to be held at the 16,000 seater Riverbank Arena in the Olympic Park.
World champions Argentina, who are the top draw in the women’s event, have joined China and South Korea in taking up an invitation for the tournament.
“The exciting one for us was to play Australia at home,” said GB men’s coach Jason Lee.
“We know they will be in our group at the Olympics and being from the other side of the world we don’t get much chance to see them or play against them.
You may also want to watch:
“Germany are of a very high standard and play a different way to Australia and so that contrast will help us and to face an Asian side gives us three distinctly different styles.
“The home advantage we have is for the crowd to get behind us and we know it is down to us to play in a style which will get them cheering us on.”
- 1 Town in talks to sign Barnsley forward Chaplin
- 2 Ipswich Town closing in on deal to sign Rangers defender Edmundson
- 3 Some areas record twice monthly rainfall in a day - and more heavy rain to come
- 4 Ipswich Town appoint new strength and conditioning coach
- 5 Ipswich target Jacobs on his Town talks and chances of a Portman Road move
- 6 Warning of 'severe' flooding in west Suffolk
- 7 'He's a proper footballer... hopefully he can stay around us' - praise for Town teenager Humphreys
- 8 Road closed after lorry crashes into tree as one person is trapped inside
- 9 'Amazing' - Joy as port welcomes maiden call of luxury cruise ship
- 10 Mike Bacon: This Ipswich team has Paul Cook's style stamped all over it
The Visa International Invitational hockey tournament takes place between May 2 and 6, and runs alongside six other Olympic test events at the park.