Holders Bury Town target good start in Suffolk Premier Cup final

BURY Town boss Richard Wilkins says starting tonight’s LB Group Suffolk Premier Cup final on the front foot could be key to retaining the trophy.

Wilkins’ side face Ryman League Premier Division rivals Lowestoft Town in the final at Portman Road, kick-off 7pm.

The final comes just three days after Lowestoft saw their dream of securing a place in Blue Square Bet South next season shattered by a 2-1 extra time defeat to AFC Hornchurch.

The Essex side also put paid to Bury’s promotion push at the semi-final stage of the play-offs a week ago.

Wilkins said: “Both teams have been down in the last week. Lowestoft were very hard done by to lose in extra time at Hornchurch, just as we felt down after losing there last Wednesday.

“We have had eight days to get over it and we trained on Tuesday night.

“It will feel strange playing now as last year’s final took place during the season, and after losing to Hornchurch it would have been nice to finish the season there and go away and then re-group for next season.

Most Read

“I just hope there is still enough in the tank for both teams to put on a good game, and it will be interesting to see who starts the game the better, and who is possibly suffering a hangover.

“Against Needham Market last year it was only in the second half that we showed what we can do, but we will need to do that from the off against Lowestoft.”

Bury will be without skipper Tom Bullard and left winger Danny Cunningham, who are both serving the third game of a three-match suspension for being sent off, ironically against Lowestoft at Ram Meadow on Easter Monday. “We will be without two of our most influential players, which is not ideal, but other players have stepped up to the plate before and will do so again,” he said.

Bury lost that match 3-2 as the Trawlerboys completed a league double, following their 2-1 success at Crown Meadow on Boxing Day, which also saw Bury end with nine men.

Wilkins’ side gained a measure of revenge thanks to a 2-0 victory over Lowestoft in the Ryman League Cup semi-final, before going on to lift the trophy.

“I think our biggest issue was that we finished both league games with nine men on the pitch. A couple of the sendings-off were worthy of red cards, in my opinion, and two were very iffy.

“We have to make sure we keep eleven players on the pitch to give ourselves the best chance of winning,” added Wilkins.

For Twitter updates on tonight’s final follow @Nick_Garnham

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter