Honours even after opening day
SUFFOLK will resume their first innings 165 runs behind hosts Cambridgeshire after the opening day of their Minor Counties Championship match at Wisbech.
Suffolk, who won the toss and elected to field, bowled out Cambridgeshire for 251, before closing on 86 for two from 21 overs in reply.
In addition to losing Tom Craddock, who was recalled by Essex, Suffolk were without his county colleague Michael Comber due to illness.
That meant that Bury St Edmunds bowled Tom Robotham and Mildenhall all-rounder Ben Shepperson were called up for their Minor Counties debuts.
After losing Alex Fullarton to Tom Rash in the 13th over, Peter Richer and Darren Bicknell added 74 for the second wicket, before Bicknell fell lbw.
You may also want to watch:
After a further 31 run were added Cambridgeshire lost three wickets for the addition of just one more run in the space of nine balls,
Shepperson, who bowled well after a nervous start, claimed his first wicket in his third over, and followed that up with another with the aid of a good catch by wicket-keeper Chris Warn.
- 1 A12 closed following serious collision
- 2 Lorry driver hailed as hero after truck crushed in port accident
- 3 Woodbridge bar owner to fight £1,000 fine for Covid rule breach
- 4 Man taken to hospital after 40ft container drops on lorry cab
- 5 Former Town defender could be in the frame to become Cook's No.2 after Richardson blow
- 6 Car SOS to feature family who lost father and son
- 7 French pop-up restaurant owner unveils new seaside hotel plan
- 8 Woman in critical condition and man arrested after serious A12 crash
- 9 31 miserable stats which sum up a largely miserable Ipswich Town season
- 10 Missing person from Braintree has been found
A 44-run stand between Paul McMahon and Paul Summerskill was ended when Warn claimed the third of his four catches.
Sasha Ward, who was promoted to open as Tom Huggins had a back injury, was run out by a direct hit by Richer in the fourth over. Martyn Cull was dismissed four overs later, but Ben France and Hassan Adnan stood firm until the close of play.
P Richer c Robotham b France 35, A Fullarton c Warn b Rash 17, D Bicknell lbw b Bishop 34, C Thompson c Rash b France 20,
G Goosen b Hunn 1, L Bruce c Warn b Shepperson 31, J Williams lbw b Shepperson 14, P McMahon c Warn b Hunn 39,P Summerskill c Warn b Hunn 19, J Barrs not out 0, J Dawborn c Bishop b Huggins 1. Extras 40. Total (85.3 overs) 251.
Fall: 1-35, 2-109, 3-140, 4-141, 5-141, 6-172, 7-201, 8-245, 9-250, 10-251.
Bowling: Hunn 15-6-36-3; Bishop 16-4-44-1; Rash 6-0-19-1; France 17-2-49-2; Huggins 14.3-5-38-1; Shepperson 12-0-45-2; Robotham 5-1-14-0.
B France not out 42, S Ward run out 8, M Cull lbw b Williams 8, H Adnan not out 15. Extras 13. Total (for 2 wkts, 21 overs) 86.
Did not bat yesterday: T Huggins, T Robotham, C Warn J Bishop, T Rash, M Hunn, B Shepperson.
Fall: 1-16, 2-44.
Bowling: Barrs 5-0-24-0; Williams 7-1-30-1; McMahon 6-1-18-0; Dawborn 2-0-12-0; Bruce 1-0-1-0.
Cambridgeshire 2pts, Suffolk 4pts