Howlett shines on Suffolk debut
SUFFOLK Over-50s got off to a great start to their Inter-County Championship campaign with a convincing six-wicket win over Northamptonshire at Rushden Town CC.
Northants batted first and were restricted to 221 for eight from their 45 overs, with Colin Scott returning useful figures of 9-2-32-3 on his debut. Nigel Dennis was as stingy as ever at the top of the order, sending down his nine overs at a cost of just 14 runs, and skipper Tony Stubbs (one for 37), Guy Robins (one for 44) and Ian Booth (one for 30) all chipped in with wickets.
In reply another new player, Keith Howlett, shared a partnership of 161 for the third wicket to set up the Suffolk win. From a dodgy 37 for two Stubbs (85 not out) and Howlett (75) took Suffolk to within sight of victory, which duly arrived with two overs to spare.
Scores: Northamptonshire 221 for 8 (A Pearson 56, D Denton 39, D Goodjohn 32, L Thurbon 32, C Scott 3 for 32). Suffolk 222 for 4 (T Stubbs 85no, K Howlett 75). Suffolk won by 6 wkts.
Suffolk’s next match is against Norfolk at Mildenhall on Wednesday (2pm start).
You may also want to watch:
Team: Ian Booth, Peter Boughton, Nick Crame, Nigel Dennis, Kevin Dobson, Andrew Gallant, Ollie Gravell, Martin Kingdon, Guy Robins, Tony Stubbs and Keith Howlett.
- 1 Matchday Live: Town beaten 3-0 after Harrop's red card
- 2 Cyclist dies after collision with car in Bury St Edmunds
- 3 Ipswich Town closing in on appointment of new chief executive
- 4 Cafe owner 'very emotional' after mystery customer leaves £500 for staff
- 5 'Buzz' about town as pub prepares to reopen under new family management
- 6 Woman arrested on suspicion of drink-driving following A14 crash
- 7 Serious crash closes road in Bury St Edmunds near A14
- 9 'Our supporters are tired and bored of us' - Cook on 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 10 Antiques Roadtrip star opens new Suffolk antiques shop