‘I just can’t really believe how we lost this game’ – Colchester United keeper Sam Walker
- Credit: Lucy Taylor
Colchester United keeper, Sam Walker, admitted that Saturday’s 2-1 home defeat, at the hands of relegation rivals Tranmere Rovers, was one of the low points of his career.
“We can’t believe we have lost that game,” insisted ex-Chelsea trainee Walker.
“We are bitterly, bitterly disappointed. It’s one of the most disappointing results we have had since I’ve been here, certainly.
“I thought their goal (Akpa Akpro) came completely against the run of play. We had enough chances to finish four games in the first half!
“I just can’t really believe how we lost this game.
You may also want to watch:
“Their keeper (Owain fon Williams) made a couple of excellent saves, especially one in the first half from Alex Gilbey, but still we had enough chances to kill the game off.”
“It’s just a shame that we couldn’t score more than one goal, while defensively again it seems that teams only need one or two chances to score a goal, which is very disappointing for us.”
- 1 A12 closed following serious collision
- 2 'Nothing surprises me anymore' - Judge on Town departure
- 3 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 defeat at Northampton Town
- 4 'We've got to be better - myself included' - Cook on 3-0 loss at Northampton Town
- 5 Have you seen this Suffolk pub’s new outdoor kitchen and bar?
- 6 DHL driver apologises after 'dangerous' driving in Ipswich rat-run
- 7 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 3-0 defeat to Northampton
- 8 'Loving and devoted' - Family pay tribute to mother-of-five found in park
- 9 Grandfather-of-two 'died with dignity' in hospice while serving life sentence
- 10 Why have ITFC's American owners issued £18m of new shares?
Walker was beaten twice, by Akpa Akpro’s slick finish in the 36th minute, and then by Ryan Lowe’s winner just after the hour mark. The two goals sandwiched an equaliser by Freddie Sears.
The U’s next game is another crunch one, at basement club Stevenage next Saturday.