“I thought it was an outstanding display” – Colchester United boss John McGreal
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Colchester United boss, John McGreal, was delighted with his side’s first away win of the season, a 2-0 success at Wycombe Wanderers this afternoon.
Second-half goals from Chris Porter and Sammie Szmodics, on 63 and 82 minutes, secured a deserved win on the road, making it 10 points from a possible 15 at the start of his season.
“From the first minute to the last, the boys were excellent,” enthused McGreal.
“I thought it was an outstanding display.
“I said before the match that good sides don’t tend to lose two games on the trot, and it was important that we bounced back from the Portsmouth defeat.
“I thought our back four and the keeper (Sam Walker) were excellent, and I always fancied us to score.
“They were two good goals. Chris (Porter) and Sammie (Szmodics) have been combining well in training, and it showed out there,” added McGreal.
- 1 Two arrests as man suffers serious injuries in pub brawl in seaside village
- 2 Driver caught speeding at 94mph in 50 zone on A140 in mid Suffolk
- 3 Plans for former Dorothy Perkins store in Suffolk town withdrawn
- 4 Sir Cliff Richard sends best wishes to Summer Holiday cast
- 5 'A top team for League One' - Forest Green boss praises Town
- 6 Noise warning issued due to late night fighter jet training over airbase
- 7 Hunt for convicted murderer released on temporary licence in Ipswich
- 8 Top food event set to provide showcase for more than 100 Suffolk producers
- 9 Thousands head to Helmingham car show
- 10 Four taken to hospital after crash involving ambulance on A146
Meanwhile, Wycombe manager, Gareth Ainsworth, rued: “I’m gutted, I’m gutted for everyone. The players are down and I am down.
“It wasn’t good enough for us. We gave away sloppy goals. We’ve got to defend better than that.”