“I thought it was an outstanding display” – Colchester United boss John McGreal
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Colchester United boss, John McGreal, was delighted with his side’s first away win of the season, a 2-0 success at Wycombe Wanderers this afternoon.
Second-half goals from Chris Porter and Sammie Szmodics, on 63 and 82 minutes, secured a deserved win on the road, making it 10 points from a possible 15 at the start of his season.
“From the first minute to the last, the boys were excellent,” enthused McGreal.
“I thought it was an outstanding display.
“I said before the match that good sides don’t tend to lose two games on the trot, and it was important that we bounced back from the Portsmouth defeat.
You may also want to watch:
“I thought our back four and the keeper (Sam Walker) were excellent, and I always fancied us to score.
“They were two good goals. Chris (Porter) and Sammie (Szmodics) have been combining well in training, and it showed out there,” added McGreal.
- 1 Matchday Recap: All-square as Town and U's share six goals
- 2 Town complete ninth signing as Edmundson joins from Scottish giants
- 3 Teenage girl allegedly raped on village recreation ground, court hears
- 4 Man dies after lorry crashes into trees
- 5 'Amazing' - Joy as port welcomes maiden call of luxury cruise ship
- 6 Colchester town centre streets closed following concern over child
- 7 Suffolk postcode sees house prices rise by £100,000 in a year
- 8 Family creates 50 new jobs by reviving two Suffolk pubs
- 9 Town complete Chaplin deal as Barnsley forward becomes signing No.10
- 10 Friends reunited, points to prove and more goals, please - Town face U's
Meanwhile, Wycombe manager, Gareth Ainsworth, rued: “I’m gutted, I’m gutted for everyone. The players are down and I am down.
“It wasn’t good enough for us. We gave away sloppy goals. We’ve got to defend better than that.”