Injury to Andy Bond marrs another U’s victory
Brentwood 1 Colchester United 2
ANDY Bond’s bad luck with pre-season injuries continued as he hobbled off early on with a knee problem, during this afternoon’s victory at Brentwood.
Colchester United midfielder Bond, who had suffered a sickening facial injury during last summer’s build-up, lasted just nine minutes at Brentwood before sustaining the injury.
It is the first real injury blow that U’s boss John Ward has had to contend with, in an otherwise relatively smooth pre-season to date.
Last summer, Bond collided with his own keeper, Mark Cousins, during a pre-season game against Ipswich, which left him needing dental surgery and meaning that he missed the start of the season.
It is hoped that the ex-Barrow man will make a quicker recovery from this most recent setback.
The U’s had beaten Maldon & Tiptree 2-1 on Friday night, thanks to goals from Freddie Sears and Drey Wright, with Mitchell Das replying for the hosts.
- 1 Top food event set to provide showcase for more than 100 Suffolk producers
- 2 Four taken to hospital after crash involving ambulance on A146
- 3 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their victory at Forest Green
- 4 Andy's Angles: Five observations from Ipswich Town's win at Forest Green
- 5 Plans for former Dorothy Perkins store in Suffolk town withdrawn
- 6 Two arrests as man suffers serious injuries in pub brawl in seaside village
- 7 See inside £715k mid Suffolk townhouse for sale after major revamp
- 8 Driver caught speeding at 94mph in 50 zone on A140 in mid Suffolk
- 9 Decision on pub's licence deferred to next week
- 10 Plans for 19 homes in Suffolk village refused
This afternoon, though, the U’s had to come from behind against Brentwood.
John-Joe O’Toole headed home a quickfire equaliser, before Freddie Ladapo bagged what proved to be the winner before half-time, following a good run by Magnus Okuonghae.
U’s squad: Cousins, White, Okuonghae, Bender, Coker, Bean, O’Toole, Bond (sub Olufemi 9, sub Ramm 60), Wordsworth (sub James-Lewis, 72), Ladapo, Henderson