Injury worries for Colchester United, ahead of Wealdstone trip
Colchester United have injury concerns over three players, ahead of tomorrow’s tricky FA Cup first round tie at non-league Wealdstone.
Keeper Jamie Jones, midfielder Owen Garvan and centre-half George Elokobi are all struggling to be fit for the trip to Grosvenor Vale, although winger Gavin Massey returns to the squad after a month out injured.
Jones has not missed a game, since his arrival on loan from Preston in early November, catching the eye in his 11 appearances to date.
The 26-year-old has been cleared to play in tomorrow’s FA Cup tie, by his parent club Preston, as has fellow loanee winger Callum Harriott, by his permanent employers Charlton.
But Jones could miss out, if he fails to overcome a niggling hamstring injury.
You may also want to watch:
He is set to have a late fitness test, as are ex-Ipswich Town favourite Garvan and defender Elokobi on ankle and calf injuries respectively.
“Jamie (Jones) has a slight hamstring injury,” revealed manager Tony Humes.
- 1 Andy's Angles: Six observations after Ipswich Town's 2-1 win over Fleetwood
- 2 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 3 'Unique' café with 250 plus board games to play will open soon
- 4 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Suffolk
- 5 Ambulance service apologises after woman left lying on Cornhill for 2 hours
- 6 Hadleigh home with loo in master bedroom hits the market
- 7 How Suffolk are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 8 'One of the favourites for the division' - Fleetwood boss Grayson on Town
- 9 Business units set to be converted into new seafront flats
- 10 'Kind and gentle' retired Ipswich Hospital orthopaedic consultant dies
“He over-stretched it during the later stages of last weekend’s game (2-0 defeat at Doncaster). It’s a slight niggle.
“We will obviously give him as much time as possible, to be fit to play, but if not, then Elliot Parish will come in. Elliot started the season, and was maybe a bit unlucky to miss out when we brought Jamie in.
“But its another opportunity for Elliot to get back into the swing of things, which is why we brought him in, in the first place.”
Humes continued: “George (Elokobi) came off with his calf last week, so we have looked after him this week with a view to seeing how he is. As a result, he has not trained.
“Owen (Garvan) has a little knock to his ankle, so it’s been similar for him as well.
“But we’ll still have a strong squad. It’s just a question of who makes it, and who doesn’t,” added the U’s boss.