Ipswich Basketball Club round-up: U13 boys complete perfect season
- Credit: Archant
They played the Blues close throughout a first half which the hosts edged 34-32 thanks to some great defence from Danny Manning, and the unguardable Troy Huggins’ frequent forays to the basket en-route to 20 points.
Ipswich pulled away in the third, thanks to Ethan Price (11 points) and Veron’s presence on the glass, with great team defence again sparking the hosts.
The fourth remained tight, as the guests got into foul trouble, but leading scorer Veron (27) coolly sank his foul shots to give the Suffolk side a 67-57 win, sealing a perfect regular season.
Coach Noel Lambert said after the game “We made the play-offs three games ago, but haven’t stopped working-chasing the opportunity to go undefeated.
“It’s well deserved, we show a great team ethic, constantly encouraging and working for each other. I hope it continues through the play-offs.”
You may also want to watch:
Elsewhere, the U14 Girls travelled to Newham. A star performance Georgie Musson (25 points) and 30 points between Beth Alexander (18) and Scarlet Copping (12) helped to bring home a 97-69 win.
The U16 Boys were injury-stricken ahead of a trip to Solent Kestrels, in which Ben Winter of the U14’s made his debut. Ben Mobee (34), Caleb Fuller (26) and Johnny Hall (16) helped the Blues run-out 100-57 winners.
- 1 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 2 £1million beach village set for approval as part of resort regeneration
- 3 13 Fire engines attend blaze at sugar beet factory
- 4 Affordable homes project proposed for east Suffolk village
- 5 Where to find the cheapest petrol in Suffolk as prices hit all-time high
- 6 Pub changes 'offensive' Halloween display after social media criticism
- 7 Man indecently exposes himself to dog walker in Cavendish
- 8 A14 reopens after one person taken to hospital following crash
- 9 'The culture is right' - Johnson leaves Town in good hands after whirlwind trip
- 10 'Kind and gentle' retired Ipswich Hospital orthopaedic consultant dies
The busiest side of the weekend were the U16 Girls, beating County Upper 79-17 on Saturday, led by Jazz Tebbit (19), Maya Price (17), Francis Musson (16). On Sunday, they played host to Herts Warriors, recording a 72-45 win behind 22 points from the rested Freya Cooney, along with 17 from Price, and 10 from Musson.
The Senior Women hosted London Westside without Ellie Shaxon and Emma Camp.
In a game which didn’t seem to be going the Suffolk side’s way, the hosts fought-back from 18 points down – but it wasn’t enough to snatch a win, as the Blues rued missed layups and free-throws throughout the game in a 64-60 loss.
Leading scorers were Harriet Welham (18), Danni Cazey (9) and Amy Linton/Charleene Tom (7).