Ipswich Basketball Club round-up: Under 18 Men start in dominant mood as Caleb Fuller hits 33 points
- Credit: Archant
The Ipswich Basketball Under 18 Men got their season started with a dominant first-half against London United, grabbing a 54-28 lead, before easing into a 85-61 win despite missing key players.
Caleb Fuller led all scorers with 33 points while stuffing the stat sheet and grabbing a couple of highlight dunks, he was supported by Cam Hawes (16), Mark James (13) and a double-double from Johnny Hall.
The U16 Boys followed with their home bow also against London United, in a game with multiple lead changes, the Suffolk side relied on tough defence and effective transition, while Blake Read, Lewis Tebbitt and Ben Winter all proved a threat from deep.
Despite all of the squad playing a part, and several of the younger players really impressing Coach Dave Girling, the guests snatched a 60-57 win. Read (18), Harry Page (12) and Tebbit (11) led the way for Ipswich.
The U14 Girls hosted Oaklands Wolves and made a fantastic start, running-out to a 29-5 lead after one, and never looking back. Although Oaklands nearly matched them in the second, the Blues held their guests to just 14 second-half points, while running-in 51 of their own in a dominant 97-34 win. Scarlet Copping (22), Tash Jarvis (18) and Nicole Aston (10) led the scoring for Ipswich.
You may also want to watch:
The Senior Women hosted Cambridge Cats in their season opener, booking their place in the second round of the Cup, winning 77-54 and leading wire-to-wire despite no-one playing more than 25 minutes. Harriet Welham led all scorers with 30 points whilst being a menace defensively – logging an astounding 11 steals. Amy Linton (10) and Ash Pink (8) led a balanced attack, with 11 players on the scoresheet
Congratulations to Esther Little, of the U14/U16 Girls, for winning the St. Edmundsbury Sports Awards for “Young Sports Personality” and “People’s Youth Champion” this past week.
- 1 People with these surnames in Suffolk could be owed a fortune
- 2 Valley Ridge ski resort in jeopardy amid furious row over landfill site
- 3 'Never seen anything like it' - community pulls together to revamp pub
- 4 Delays after car crashes into level crossing
- 5 Where are Suffolk’s outstanding schools?
- 6 Man left with cuts to his head after being bottled following fight in Suffolk town
- 7 Mapped: Suffolk postcodes with lowest level of Covid cases
- 8 Mike Bacon: Never delve too deeply into those pre-season results
- 9 Tourists turn to inland Suffolk as coast books up
- 10 Gill on the move again as former Town coach heads to the Championship