Ipswich & District Badminton League holds presentation
Gresham Sports & Social Club played host to the annual Ipswich & District Badminton League presentation evening.
Divisional winners Abbeygate, Corinthians, YMCA, Kesgrave, Thorpeness and Belstead were presented with their trophies by IDBL chairperson, Linda Sheppard, along with the individual winners of the championships and veterans’ tournament and Kesgrave and Felixstowe, who shared the Playford Trophy.
In Division One, YMCA won the mixed title for the 10th year in a row, but their run of success in the ladies’ competition, extending back to the 2003-4 season, was broken, as Abbeygate, the 2002-3 winners, came out on top.
In a tight finish, where three points separated the top four clubs, Abbeygate and Stowmarket both finished with 19 points, but Abbeygate’s winning margin in their last match was sufficient to secure the title on games won overall.
The Corinthians club, one of the founder members of the men’s league, won the men’s Division One for the first time in their history, finishing one point above YMCA, last year’s winners.
You may also want to watch:
Other notable successes included Kesgrave men’s and Belstead’s ladies teams, who both won Division Two titles to reach Division One for the first time, and Thorpeness Men’s, the Division Four winners, who secured promotion for the fourth year running since joining the league in the 2008-9 season.
- 1 Woman in 20s dies in single car crash on A12 in Suffolk
- 2 Boy, 5, dies after suffering serious head injury at department store
- 3 Suffolk enjoys warehousing boom as more businesses flock to region
- 4 A12 fully reopened after serious crash
- 5 Edmundson ruled out of opener as Cook discusses 'four, five or six' more transfers
- 6 Container ship that blocked Suez Canal due to arrive in Felixstowe
- 7 Suffolk pub reopens with exclusive Champagne carvery
- 8 Swimmers report sickness symptoms after dip in Suffolk river
- 9 Long-serving parish clerk resigns from council hit by flaring tensions
- 10 The Town players who have improved their stock in pre-season