Ipswich II 3 St Ives 0
NE14Hockey Women's East League
Division One North
Ipswich II 3 St Ives 0
IPSWICH faced second placed St Ives at home on Saturday. Possession was tightly contested in what was a fast but scrappy match. Ipswich opened the score-line after 10 minutes with a goal from forward Faye Curran. Despite giving the ball away too easily at times, Ipswich began to have the majority of possession and pressurised the St Ives 'D' forcing the keeper to make several saves. Ipswich forward Hannah Martin made a penetrating lead and slipped the ball to midfielder Connie Bedingfield who struck it firmly past the keeper extending Ipswich's lead.
Both teams continued to give away possession too easily in the second half, however Ipswich's effort and team work enabled them to over-turn possession more frequently. Both teams generated goal scoring opportunities including penalty corners, but were unable to convert these. Ipswich's Sam Bennett, Millie Sharp, Jenny Ellis and Fran Tew performed well in defence, winning the ball and distributing well.
You may also want to watch:
Lowri Davies had another good match making penetrating leads in attack. Ipswich were awarded a penalty flick for an intentional stick tackle on Hannah Martin and this was converted by Faye Curran. Ipswich continued to distribute the ball smoothly through Hannah Tallent in centre midfield and worked hard as a team until the final whistle to ensure their well deserved three points were awarded.
Ipswich remain in fifth place in East Division One North with 33 points (but two games in hand over some of the teams above) and will travel to Wisbech next Saturday. 'Player of the Match' was awarded to Faye Curran for an excellent performance in attack and 'Personal Best' was awarded to Sam Bennett for a fantastic game in defence.
- 1 Lorry driver hailed as hero after truck crushed in port accident
- 2 Woodbridge bar owner to fight £1,000 fine for Covid rule breach
- 3 A12 closed following serious collision
- 4 Former Town defender could be in the frame to become Cook's No.2 after Richardson blow
- 5 Man taken to hospital after 40ft container drops on lorry cab
- 6 Cage fighter Alex Reid jailed after OUR story exposes lie in insurance claim
- 7 Woman in critical condition and man arrested after serious A12 crash
- 8 Missing dad wanted in connection with assault which happened day before he disappeared
- 9 Air ambulance called to medical emergency
- 10 Plans to create 'Suffolk Silicon Fen' killed by market forces