Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues linked with £2million move for Rangers forward Windass
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Ipswich Town have been linked with a £2million move for Rangers forward Josh Windass by reports this morning.
The 24-year-old scored 18 goals for the Ibrox club last season, having joined on a pre-contract agreement from Accrington Stanley in the summer of 2016.
Football Insider is reporting that the Blues have made a £2million bid as they look to replace striker Martyn Waghorn, who is set to complete his move from Ipswich to Derby County later today.
The report says new Rangers manager Steven Gerrard is keen to keep hold of the Englishman, son of former Hull, Middlesbrough and Bradford striker Dean Windass, as he looks to build a squad capable of challenging Glasgow rivals Celtic this season.
Windass started and won a penalty in Rangers’ opening-day draw with Aberdeen on Sunday, operating on the left of an attacking midfield three.
He signed a new contract with Rangers in February, with his deal running until 2021.
You may also want to watch:
“Josh will play in different positions,” Gerrard said of Windass earlier this summer. “I’ve told the other players that, we don’t say ‘this is your position and you’re only going to play there’.
“We will play different systems and formations. If we feel Josh is the best man for a certain role in the team he’ll play.
- 1 Isaacs call police after quayside drinkers cause chaos outside bar
- 2 Driver arrested after 12-year-old boy 'seriously injured' in crash
- 3 Theft of historic Royal Mail post boxes 'a worrying trend'
- 4 'Has to go' - Town fans on Chambers' future, play-off hopes and who they want to see play
- 5 Photos of suspected stolen dogs released in bid to find owners
- 6 'I left the club in a more than decent place' - Lambert opens up on leaving Town
- 7 Essex home 'completely destroyed' by fire
- 8 Man in hospital with head injury after late night assault
- 9 Stephen Ward on play-offs belief, Cook's criticism and his future
- 10 Barn goes up in flames in Suffolk village
“What I will say is he has applied himself very, very well since day one.”
The Blues are set to complete the double signing of Shrewsbury duo Toto Nsiala and Jon Nolan later today, while Kayden Jackson is understood to be travelling to Suffolk to begin the process of completing a move from Accrington.
QPR and Peterborough are also said to have had bids accepted, but Jackson is understood to be set on a move to Portman Road to work under Paul Hurst.